• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Frigidaire Refrigerator FGHB2735NE3 won't cool past 55-57F, freezer 0F

mmindenhall

Premium Member
Model Number
FGHB2735NE3
Brand
Frigidaire
Hi,

Thanks so much for providing this awesome forum!

About three weeks ago I noticed that our refrigerator temp was up in the 50s, and the freezer temp was in the 20s. I pulled out the unit and took off the lower back panel (made of cardboard), and saw the coils there were caked in thick dust. The fan next to these coils was blowing fine, so I got a bottle brush and the vacuum, and cleaned the coils. After plugging it back in, everything returned to normal (fridge 37F, freezer 0F) for about two weeks.

Then last week I noticed the fridge was around 55F, while the freezer was at 0F. I turned off the fridge, and turned it back on (yes, I'm a fan of "The IT Crowd"). The fridge cooled back to 37F for about a day, then went back up to around 55-57F, where it's been ever since. The ice maker is inside the refrigerator compartment, and it has continued making ice and keeping it frozen despite the fridge temp being at or above 55F.

If you have experience with this model (or similar models) and can tell me what to try next, I'd greatly appreciate the help!

Thanks,
Mark

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Mark, I'm attaching your tech. data sheet below.

Do you hear the freezer fan running inside the freezer? If so, then it sounds like possibly the Fresh Food Temperature sensor or the air damper is not working properly.

Its best to manually ohm test the Fresh Food Temperature sensor with a multimeter.

Place the Fresh Food Temperature sensor is a small glass and fill it with crushed ice. Add enough water to cover the Fresh Food Temperature sensor. Then wait at least 5 minutes. This should bring the temperature of the Fresh Food Temperature sensor very close to 32*F-33*F. At 33*F the Fresh Food Temperature sensor should measure 31,658 ohms. At 32*F the Fresh Food Temperature sensor should measure 32,566 ohms (+ or - 2%). Your Fresh Food Temperature sensor should be between 31.6K and 32.5K ohms.

Here's the Fresh Food Temperature sensor for your model you can order, if yours ohm tests bad:
Thermistor 240597203

Here's the video to access/replace both of them:

If the Fresh Food Temperature sensor ohm tests good, then check your air damper to see if its opened all the way when its 55-57F.

Here's the air-damper for your model:
Damper Control Assembly 241518501

Here's the video to access/replace it: Frigidaire Refrigerator Damper Control Assembly Video

Jake

Attachments

• 240389646.pdf
    917.2 KB · Views: 40

mmindenhall

Premium Member
Hi Jake,

The mystery deepens! I didn't hear a fan when I opened the freezer, so I took everything out and took off the back panel. Then I discovered that the switch that turns the light ON when the drawer is opened also turns the fan OFF. When I pressed the switch, the fan came on right away.

Next, I pulled everything out of the fridge and checked the damper -- it was wide open. I gently pushed it closed to see if it would reopen, but it did not. I'm not sure if that means it's not working, or if I should assume it's working since I found it wide open once I could see it.

I removed the temperature sensor and submerged in crushed ice and water, but got no reading with my multimeter. I'll go ahead and order one of those, but I don't think it's the problem, because it has been reading 55-57F, which seems about right since things in the fridge have been "cool, but not cold".

Once I got the panel off in the freezer, I took the photo below of the fan and coils in case the amount of ice/frost buildup leads you to think the problem might lie elsewhere.

Thanks,
Mark

PXL_20210920_023106366.jpg

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Make sure your meter has a fresh battery in it, so it can reads ohms.

In the tech. data sheet I uploaded, do Diagnostic TEST #2--->DEFROST HEATER and see if the defrost heater comes ON when its frosted up like that.

Jake