• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Frigidaire Refrigerator Freezer not Freezing FFTR1814TW

mpmason87

Premium Member
Model Number
FFTR1814TW
Brand
Frigidaire
I have a fridge/freezer combo (top-freezer) and the freezer NEVER gets cold to enough to actually keep food frozen. I lost ice cream and some meat because of this. Warranty request already placed to Fridigaire because I bought it from Lowe's in August 2020.

I put a digital thermometer in the freezer and the temp goes between 29 and 33*F, but is usually on the 33 side. The "cold/coldest" slider at the back is set to "coldest".

FWIW I live in upstate NY and the freezer is in the attached garage.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
the [refrigerator] is in the attached garage

Is the garage heated?

If it's below 50 deg F. it may not cool properly and if below freeing, it certainly will not function properly.

BTW. If it is malfunctioning because of the low ambient temperature, the service may not be covered by warranty and you may get a bill. The warranty only covers "defects in material or warkmanship". Operating it incorrectly is not covered.

Let us know how it turns out.

Dan O.

mpmason87

Premium Member
@Dan O. good info that I did not have - thank you!!!

No the garage is not heated and of course it's below 50 in wonderfully chilly upstate NY...so that is my first place to start. Maybe I need to move the fridge to the basement (which is heated).

I am going to wait and see what customer support says, but knowing this, I won't be surprised.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
mpmason87 said:
Maybe I need to move the fridge to the basement (which is heated).

Yes, that will be needed to determine if it is actually function properly or not. (Leave it stand upright for an hour after moving before plugging it in again, to be safe.)

If the refrigerator compartment doesn't warm up (because it's cold outside), the compressor won't run. Without the compressor running, the freezer will warm up.

If you do want to keep it in an unheated space, there is a 'garage kit' heater which should be able to be added to that model to allow it to operate in colder conditions. It comes with instructions.

LINK > Garage Heater Kit 5303918301

BTW. That fridge is a nice, simple design. It's refreshing to see it isn't loaded with electronic control which are a pain!

Dan O.

Last edited:

mpmason87

Premium Member
@Dan O. Thanks! That is an affordable option that I am going to try. Ordered it and should have by end of the week. If that does not work, we'll look into the move to the basement (not looking forward to that...).

I'll let you know how the heater goes.

mpmason87

Premium Member
@Dan O. I got the part installed over the weekend and so far so great! The freezer is registering around 1-5*F and the fridge around 32/33*F. And all food in the freezer is actually freezing! This forum was much faster and helpful than Frigidaire support.