• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Frigidaire Refrigerator FRS23H5AS not producing ice

stanima

Premium Member
Model Number
FRS23H5AS
Brand
Frigidaire
Last week I noticed the icemaker was clicking and running every 10 minutes. Thought that was odd and went over, opened the freezer door and watched. When the ice pusher (fingers) finished doing their thing I heard the solenoid open and then close but no water flowed into the icemaker.

Rather than do it myself I thought I would call a repair service I had used before (that was my mistake).

Told them the brand and model number, explained the symptoms including the fact that the icemaker was going through the motions, but no water was flowing into the ice tray. Tech comes out (at the promised time, the only thing they got right) and agrees there is no ice. Checked the fill line but decided something is wrong with the solenoid valve. Starts putting everything back together. I say "Wait, when I talked with the guy at your office he said he'd make sure to send a replacement valve with you".

Except they didn't have a Frigidaire water valve assembly in stock. They only stock Whirlpool parts. So the guy at the office lied. They have to order it, will take a couple days. Charged me for the visit and the mileage- $123. To come back with the $100 valve will be $223, so $346 total and 2 visits to replace a simple part?

Um, no. Went online, a new genuine Frigidaire valve was $64.88 and delivered yesterday.

Installed it this morning. Checked for leaks, no problems. Checked the water dispenser, works fine. Switched the icemaker back on and watched. When it got to the call for water I heard the solenoid go... but no water.

I'm going to presume there is in fact something wrong with the line from the valve to the icemaker. Whether it's frozen or there is debris in the line, something is not right (we're on a well with high iron content and while we replaced our iron filter last year with a much more efficient model I have found rusty iron flakes in all sorts of places- including the hot water heater, faucet aerators and in the fill valve I replaced today).

Anyone think of something I might have overlooked? I was thinking I would disconnect the line to the icemaker and swap the power connector for the water dispenser and make sure water flows there first, then try blowing through the icemaker line to make sure it is clear...

Thanks,

stanima

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I always pull the refrigerator out from the wall, then turn the water off, remove the water supply line, then get a bucket or container to catch water in to test the water pressure from the water supply line into a bucket, then turn the water supply line on, and it should have good water pressure force coming out in the bucket or container.

--->If your water pressure is good, then disconnect the water line tubing underneath the water inlet valve and then manually cycle the ice maker and see if water comes out good directly from the water inlet valve.

To manually cycle the ice maker just remove the plastic cover over the front of it, it just unsnaps off, then you will see a gear with a arrow, turn that gear slowly about 1/4 of a turn in the direction of the arrow and then it will continue to move on its own, then watch for water to come out towards the end of the ice maker cycle.

Here's the ice maker for your model:
241798231 Ice Maker
frigidaire-ice-maker-241798231-ap6332951_01_th.jpg

Here's the water inlet valve for your model:
242252702 Water Valve

Jake

stanima

Premium Member
As I mentioned the water dispenser is working fine, so the supply and the main main inlet valve (as well as the water dispenser valve) are all copacetic.

I'm going to test the icemaker valve by itself to see if water comes out when I swap the icemaker/dispenser power connectors. If that works then I will check the icemaker connector for 120V (when the icemaker calls for power).

If there is no voltage then I presume it is something wrong with the icemaker itself, if it is a nominal voltage but not 110-120 then the diode is bad.

Is that a good troubleshooting plan?

stanima

Premium Member
Whelp... that was (maybe) easy.

The ice tray fill tube was blocked with ice. I ran hot water over it for 20 seconds and the blockage is gone. Just set up the icemaker to run, not a lot of water came out (air in the line, it had drained out when I replaced the valve yesterday) but definitely there is water in the ice tray.

Keeping my fingers crossed it works. Annoyed at the tech from All Brands of Missoula for completely mis-diagnosing that. Wonder if I can get my money back...

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
The ice tray fill tube was blocked with ice.
Excellent, good find.(y)

Just set up the icemaker to run, not a lot of water came out (air in the line, it had drained out when I replaced the valve yesterday) but definitely there is water in the ice tray.
Yes, make sure you get ice cube tray fills after the first one.:)

Annoyed at the tech from All Brands of Missoula for completely mis-diagnosing that. Wonder if I can get my money back...
Possibly yes, you can file a complaint on BBB.

Jake