• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Frigidaire Refrigerator FRS6LF8FS1 Ice Fill Line keeps freezing

BradASchreiber

Premium Member
Model Number
FRS6LF8FS1
Brand
Frigidaire
Hello, I have a Frigidaire FRS6LF8FS1 and I just replaced the water filter (WF2CB). Everything was running fine beforehand but now the ice fill line keeps freezing up. I have removed the tube from the back of the appliance and thawed it but it keeps freezing up. Any idea what could cause this? It worked fine before I replaced the filter. I flushed the filter as recommended.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, if everything was fine before you replaced the water filter, then it sounds like you got a defective NEW water filter, it does happen.

Put the old water filter back in and see if it goes back to normal, if so, then you know for sure your NEW water filter is defective.

Here's the water filter for your model:
frigidaire-puresource2-water-filter-wf2cb-ap2538969_01_l.jpg

Jake

BradASchreiber

Premium Member
Thank you for your reply. I thought it might be that- yesterday I returned the first new water filter and got a completely new one and installed it. The same problem keeps happening.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, then the only other part it can be is the water filter base has worn out and causing this problem.

Here's the water filter base you can order here:
Water Filter Base 240396002

Here's the video:

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
but you believe the base is damaged?
Possibly, but if your getting good water pressure from the water dispenser, then it should not be causing this ice maker water line freeze up problem.

Its more likely the water inlet valve assembly leaking a small amount of water into that ice maker water line and freezing it up.

Here's the water inlet valve for your model:
242252702 Water Valve

Jake

Tubbz71

Premium Member
Please advise if this fixed the issue. I have an Electrolux that IS causing the same problem. New water inlet valves, new water filter and my ice maker water line freezes right where the water comes out and falls into the ICE tray.

Electrolux EW28BS85KS7

BradASchreiber

Premium Member
So it turns out the problem was two-fold. I indeed had two problematic water filters in a row. Also I did a purge on my main water inlet to the refrigerator and discovered it had some clogging. Once I replaced the water filter with an OEM part and purged my main water inlet line, the problem was fixed.

BradASchreiber

Premium Member
To purge the water line first turn off the water line so no water flows. Then get a bucket and unscrew your main water line from the refrigerator. Run the main line into the bucket. If water flows freely and with good pressure, your line is clear and that is not the issue. Also- I highly recommend only OEM parts for everything, including the filter. Non-OEM parts can cause technical issues with the appliance.

Tubbz71

Premium Member
I will try the water line. I have a plastic water line, I think I will upgrade to stainless steel braided. I will confirm if this works..

Tubbz71

Premium Member
To purge the water line first turn off the water line so no water flows. Then get a bucket and unscrew your main water line from the refrigerator. Run the main line into the bucket. If water flows freely and with good pressure, your line is clear and that is not the issue. Also- I highly recommend only OEM parts for everything, including the filter. Non-OEM parts can cause technical issues with the appliance.
I have always used OEM Electrolux filters. The one I just switched expired in July 2021.. Ooops!

Tubbz71

Premium Member
That filter is possibly your issue. If purging your water line is a hassle I would replace it first.
I just replaced the old filter 5 days ago. The new filter has the same problem. This frig has been nothing but problems, from rust on the rear, icemaker drains freezing and now water lines freezing.