• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Frigidaire Refrigerator FRS6LR5EB6 Ice maker not working

FiremanJim

Premium Member
Model Number
FRS6LR5EB6
Brand
Frigidaire
I have a FRS6LR5EB6 (mfg. date 11/06) Frigidaire side by side that is not making ice. This model has ice and water in the freezer door with separate dispensers for each. I have put a new water filter cartridge in. I have water flow on the water side but no ice on the ice side. I can pull the ice maker front cover and counter clockwise rotate the gear for the motor and it rotates and the cube harvester rotates like it should. During the rotation no water comes out the tube in the back. I'm kind of flying blind here, I can't seem to find anything on this older model. How do I find out if it's the ice maker not telling the water valve/solenoid to open or the water valve/solenoid not doing as the ice maker is telling it to do? I'm retired on a fixed income and can't see replacing a frig that works because the ice wont work. any help would be apricated. Thanks in advance and may God bless.

FiremanJim

Premium Member
I guess what I'm asking is how do I determine if the ice maker (JSI26) or the water valve/solenoid (240531101) is bad? Thanks in advance for your reply's and may God bless.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Jim,

If you want to see if your ice maker is calling for water, pull the refrigerator out from the wall, then remove the lower access panel and locate the water inlet valve, where your water supply line hooks up to.

You'll need a multimeter to see if your getting 120 volts to the ice maker GREEN SOLENOID side of the water inlet valve. The GREEN SOLENOID is for the ice maker water. Just remove the plastic electrical connector that goes to it, then put your meter leads in each one and then cycle the ice maker(turn the gear 1/4 turn clockwise then let it rotate on its own) and watch your meter for 120 volts towards the end of the cycle. If you don't get 120 volts, then your ice maker is the culprit.

Here's the water inlet valve for your model you can order:
242252702 Water Valve

Here's the ice maker for your model you can order:
241798231 Ice Maker

Let us know what you find.

Jake

FiremanJim

Premium Member
" then put your meter leads in each one and then cycle the ice maker(turn the gear 1/4 turn clockwise then let it rotate on its own) and watch your meter for 120 volts towards the end of the cycle".
There are 2 gears behind the front panel of the ice maker, one big and one small. The paperwork on the back of the frig said to turn the little gear "counter clockwise" to cycle the icemaker. I can rotate the harvest paddles full cycle and at no time does the ice maker try to do anything it's self. Am I right at guessing the ice maker motor is shot and can this be acquired separately?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I'm confused Jim,

In your first post you said the ice maker was rotating on its own when you manually turn the gear 1/4 turn? Now you say its not rotating on its own when you manually turn the gear 1/4 turn?

Yes, you turn the small gear counterclockwise, thus it turns the big gear clockwise.

Jake

FiremanJim

Premium Member
I did say 'I can pull the ice maker front cover and counter clockwise rotate the gear for the motor and it rotates and the cube harvester rotates like it should. During the rotation no water comes out the tube in the back." I guess it was a misunderstanding, It does rotate freely full cycle (360 degrees) BUT only if I keep turning it counter clockwise with the screwdriver. There is no attempt by the icemaker to do anything on it's own.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Got it!

Use a multimeter between the BLACK and YELLOW wires where it plugs into your electrical connector, you should have 120 volts. If so, and your ice maker won't cycle, then your ice maker is bad. And you will need to order the new ice maker I posted the link to in post #2 above.

Jake

FiremanJim

Premium Member
I tested the black and yellow wires after removing the ice maker - 120 volts was present. I removed the cover off the ice maker head and found the black wire off the motor. I replaced the black wire (after crimping the connector some) and replaced everything. The motor started rotating. The on/off bail is down against the side of the ice maker rather tightly. The water line was drained when I verified it was not clogged/frozen so I guess I need to wait till it fills before it puts any water into the ice maker. I do have water in the "water" section of the door. Should the bail (on/off lever) be tight against the side of the ice maker tightly? Any other suggestions will be appreciated

FiremanJim

Premium Member
I opened the freezer door a few minutes ago and saw the gears on the ice maker rotating. I'll wait a day or two for the water line to the ice maker purge out the air and see if it works. If it does not fill I'll test the wires on the water solenoid valve. You said "Just remove the plastic electrical connector that goes to it, then put your meter leads in each one and then cycle the ice maker(turn the gear 1/4 turn clockwise then let it rotate on its own) and watch your meter for 120 volts towards the end of the cycle. If you don't get 120 volts, then your ice maker is the culprit. Is there a way to determine if it's the solenoid? I assume if I get 120v to the solenoid from the ice maker towards the end of the cycle then it is the solenoid?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes Jim,

If you get 120 volts at the ice maker side of the water inlet and no water is coming out, then its your water inlet valve that's bad.

If you DON'T get 120 volts at the ice maker side of the water inlet, then the ice maker is bad.

Jake