• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Frigidaire Refrigerator FRT15B3AQ4 need for start capacitor?

AquaTop

Premium Member
Model Number
FRT15B3AQ4
Brand
Frigidaire
Hi all,

In the process of trouble-shooting my refrigerator issues (thread) I ended up taking apart the 3 n 1 start relay to see what was going on.
Q4Dc4Wx.jpg

Big "well derrr" from everyone here I'm sure :) but for me it rang a bell with what the guy at the parts store said to me, "This will also replace your capacitor", and I thought to myself "but I don't have a capacitor...." which is true, with the model in the thread I linked above, I just had the start relay + overload components.

So anyway, I was trying to eliminate variables, and took the capacitor out of the equation to try to get everything as close to the original config as I could.
dvx19k9.jpg

Runs fine like this. I'm wondering should I go forward with this configuration when I button everything back up, or should I add the capacitor back in? Does having a start capacitor help or hurt anything with a circa 2003 fridge that didn't originally come with one?

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Does having a start capacitor help or hurt
A start cap will destroy any pc boards but your machine doesn't have any. If the machine didn't use a start cap originally, a 3-IN-1 is a compressor killer. Leave it off.

bigbuck

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Use of HARD START KITS on Electrolux refrigeration products has led to a number of reported fires in the machine compartment.

Attachments

• RF0613 Frigidaire Refrigerator Bulletin- Improper Use Of Hard Start Kits.pdf
    34.4 KB · Views: 19

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Older medium back pressure and high back pressure compressors used a start capacitor. They are wired in series with the start windings to supply more current for a longer period. That shortens the life of the compressor if it isn't designed for a start cap.
How would I find the horsepower for my fridge?
It's probably 1/8hp