• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Frigidaire refrigerator FRT15B3AQ4 not running

AquaTop

Premium Member
Model Number
FRT15B3AQ4
Brand
Frigidaire
Hi all,

Found this forum after lots of Youtube University learnin' ;) and eventually reached an impasse.

So the fridge model is FRT15B3AQ4, born on date 12/03. Compressor wasn't running at all.

Door light comes on but that's it.

Initial internet troubleshooting pointed to the start relay. Had the telltale rattle. Local parts store sold me a ERP P410 which looks to be the same as the Supco 3 n 1 that is mentioned in a lot of internet places.

Wired it up, no joy. Checked all 3 compressor pins and they have continuity with eachother. Checked each pin against the compressor body, no short.

Checked the cold control, and had continuity with the dial turned up and lost it when it's turned down.

The defrost timer runs when there's power to the door light.

Freezer fan doesn't run at first either. Checked the ohms and they were in the 90s.

Found a video on stating a compressor without the relay, did that and the compressor started right up A-OK.

Used that same homemade power cord to wire directly to the blue and red wires and the freezer fan came on.

Used that same homemade power cord to wire the new 3 n 1 to the red and blue wires and the compressor comes on but the freezer fan doesn't.

So all the components appear to "work".

I'm currently thinking there's an issue with the cold control, because it uses the black wire as opposed to the red and blue which feed the fan, light, defrost timer, and compressor. All 4 of which I can get to turn on. Is there another test for the cold control besides the continuity test? Can I jumper across it's 2 terminals while everything else is plugged in?

I can upload the wiring diagram later tonight.

Thanks for any insight! :)

AquaTop

Premium Member
Ok I can try that tonight. Is there a way to ensure it's not in a defrost cycle? I saw one video where a guy manually cranked the timer wheel, but the housing on this one doesn't appear to have any external access.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Turning the timer’s advancing screw is the only way. The timer is mostly in cooling mode. If no motors or compressor run once plugged it, the timer might need to be manually advanced.

Dan O.

AquaTop

Premium Member
Cold control bypass appears to be working --- fan & compressor are both running.

9bdBt8P.jpg

AquaTop

Premium Member
Ok, new cold control inbound. I live in a rural area so the parts store had to get it from Denver.

In the meantime, any issues with using an outlet timer, like you'd have on a Christmas tree, to turn the compressor on and off throughout the day?

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
AquaTop said:
any issues with using an outlet timer,

Is it rated for the amount of power the refrigerator draws? Refrigerators use a lot more power than Christmas lights would.

Other than that, the refrigerator won't keep proper temperature.

Dan O.