• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Frigidaire Refrigerator LFHB2741PFBA - Wrong Temp Display And Not Cooling

daniel3507

Premium Member
Model Number
LFHB2741PFBA
Brand
Frigidaire
My Frigidaire LFHB2741PFBA is not cooling the refrigerator properly. The freezer is still working but the fridge section is only cooling to just under 50 degrees. The display on the door still shows 35 degrees however. When I go into diagnostic mode it shows the actual temperature of about 45 degrees. I cleaned the condenser coil but have not checked the evap. I'm wondering if it could be the damper but the wrong temp display is concerning. I verified the fan works and can hear the damper working in diagnostic mode though so I'm at a lose.

daniel3507

Premium Member
I think I found why the refrigerator section is not cooling properly. There are holes leading up in each corner and one of them is completely blocked with ice as well as the coil. Would this be the defrost heater assembly or the defrost thermostat? It looks like there are two parts that fit the description though. I don't think this would explain why the read out is displaying the wrong temp though.

Attachments

• PXL_20220908_133243890.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220908_133243890.MP.jpg
    219.3 KB · Views: 51

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, you have ice blockage in the return vents and upper portion on the evaporator coil, that's either caused by a bad evaporator fan motor or a warm air leak coming into the unit and causing the condensation to form into ice.

Is the evaporator fan in the freezer running at all times while the compressor is running?

Usually if its a defrost problem the entire evaporator coil will be completely caked up in frost to where you can't see any of the coils at all.

Look at these photo's below.

Frost Patterns.jpg

daniel3507

Premium Member
I believe so, although it is difficult to tell. I did do a forced defrost a couple of times and now the display temperature matches the actual refrigerator temperature.

Edit: I'm fairly certain that the evaporator fan is running all the time.

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good, just keep your eye on it for a week or two and see if it happens again.

Jake

daniel3507

Premium Member
I left it unplugged with doors open for a couple of days. Plugged it back in about 24 hours ago and the refrigerator still isn't getting to temp. Freezer seems fine but the refrigerator can is struggling to get to 60. At a loss at this point

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Edit: I'm fairly certain that the evaporator fan is running all the time.
Ok, make sure that evaporator fan motor is running, because that's the only part that sends cold air from the freezer to the refrigerator section.

If that evaporator fan motor is working good, then check the air damper.

Here's the air-damper for your model:
Damper Control Assembly 241518501

Here's the video to access/replace it: Frigidaire Refrigerator Damper Control Assembly Video

Here's another member that had this similar problem:

Your model uses that exact same evaporator fan motor and air damper.

Jake

daniel3507

Premium Member
I double checked the evap motor and damper and they appear to be working. I had it apart and watched the damper open and close. it remained open when I put the cover back on. I also verified the evap fan was working. I had the cover off and the freezer door open and manually pushed the door sensor and it started working.

I noticed it seemed to be blowing air toward the freezer door though? I had left the evap fan cover off after I discovered the original ice blockage thinking i may need to access it again. Could that be preventing air from getting to the fridge? I put the cover back on so we'll see what happens. Even after the cover was replaced there seemed to be no air movement in the refrigerator section.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I had left the evap fan cover off after I discovered the original ice blockage thinking i may need to access it again. Could that be preventing air from getting to the fridge?
Yes, that evaporator cover being left off will cause this problem, the evaporator cover needs to be in place to make it cool properly in the refrigerator section.

How's it doing now?

Jake

daniel3507

Premium Member
Seems to be doing okay. Still not matching the display temperature but it's holding under 40 and good enough for drink refrigerator in the garage. Can't thank you enough @Jake !

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Sounds good Daniel.(y)

Thanks for the update!

Jake

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.