• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Frigidaire Refrigerator LGHB2867PF2 water tank freezing.

tbarks

Premium Member
Model Number
LGHB2867PF2
Brand
Frigidaire
My unit had been humming along fairly well, except for the top icemaker but that's another story, until one day last week when the bottom icemaker stopped making ice. I assumed a line was frozen since it's happened before when the freezer door wasn't closing properly. All new door seals fixed that. This time I got the line to the bottom icemaker unthawed but still wasn't getting water. I happen to hit the water dispenser in the door and nothing came out of it. That pointed to more frozen lines. I finally got into the water tank and found the coiled up lines frozen up. After unthawing those everything worked again. I put a new water filter in it and the pressure seems the same as it always has when everything worked. But a few hours later it was frozen again. We moved some stuff around thinking maybe it was not allowing air flow but that hasn't helped.

I've thawed it a few times and it continues to freeze back up in a mater of hrs. This is the first time I've had this issue. I tore into the thing and can't find anything that obviously stands out. The evaporator fan turns freely and runs with no odd sound when the freezer door switch is closed. There's no ice frozen on it. I looked at the evaporator coil and it isn't frozen over. The air damper was open and there is air flow to the top. I'm not sure if it's strong enough as I've never really paid attention to it before. When I put thermometers in it the bottom of the refrigerator part is very cold right next to the water tank. It's no wonder it's freezing up. But the air temp in the top is barely cool enough. It's running around 40 or so.

There's a good 15 degrees difference between the top and the bottom behind the drawers. I'm having a hard time figuring it out. It seems to be providing enough cooling, the cold air just doesn't seem to be moving as it should. But nothing appears to not be working to the eye. I've also cleaned the condenser coils but they weren't very dirty as I have cleaned them before. This is one of the units that freezes ice on the back of the cabinet. (Brilliant design.) I've tried to help that but it still does it and is another, another story. That's never affected the water tank though. Any ideas would be welcome. Thanks.

tbarks

Premium Member
Update.....I found the thread about the clogged drain line causing the drain to freeze. I checked my drain line and its not stopped up. When I pulled it off the fitting cold air from the freezer came out so I don't think the drain is frozen. Still searching.....

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
There's a good 15 degrees difference between the top and the bottom behind the drawers. I'm having a hard time figuring it out. It seems to be providing enough cooling, the cold air just doesn't seem to be moving as it should.
I remember a similar thread with this issue years ago:

The evaporator fan motor should be running full bore to keep the cold air circulating, so that the cold air doesn't sit at the bottom to freeze up that tank.

Is the evaporator fan motor working properly? Do you hear it running inside the freezer? Its located inside the freezer and blows the cold air from the freezer up into the refrigerator section. Make sure that fan motor is running fast and not slow.

Open the freezer door a listen to see if your fan motor in the freezer is running. If not, or if its running slow, then you can verify voltage to it--->Check for 12 volts DC to the fan between red and brown wires.

Here's the evaporator fan motor for your model:
241509402 Motor

Watch this video to access/replace it:

Jake

tbarks

Premium Member
It runs when the freezer door is closed, not when it's open. I had the fan cover off and held down the freezer door switch to verify that was in fact running. I can also hear it come on when I close the freezer door. I can feel air coming out the top vent in the refrigerator section. I'm just not sure if it's blowing as hard as it's supposed to.

Is there any way to check that voltage without taking the rear panel out? That's a lot of work just to test. Lol.

Edit.. if the voltage is not 12 volts there what would that indicate?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

tbarks

Premium Member
Update. We finally got past Thanksgiving time and I tore into the unit. The fan voltage checked 11.8 DC. I assumed that's close enough to 12 so I went ahead and replaced the fan with a new one I had purchased. As soon as I mounted it and turned the unit on I could tell a definite difference in fan speed. It took about a day for the temps to settle down and now it's making ice and the temps are staying pretty even again. The new fan apparently fixed the issue. Thanks for the help.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, glad to hear the new evaporator fan motor fixed it.(y)

Thanks for the update!

The fan voltage checked 11.8 DC. I assumed that's close enough to 12
Yes, your control board is good.

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.