• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Frigidaire Upright Freezer FFH17F7HWC did my compressor die?

gizmoduck

Premium Member
Model Number
FFH17F7HWC
Brand
Frigidaire
So today I went to my freezer and the temperature was at -2C. I usually have the temperature at -18 C and yesterday evening I saw that the temperature was at its normal position on the external display. About 2 months ago I replaced the control module as the coils kept freezing over (around every 2 months). I expected to open up the freezer and find the coils to be frozen yet again but in fact they were clean.

Previously when I had a malfunctioning control module the temperature would only rise to about -8C within around 12-24 hours of noting a problem but this temperature change was more significant and now the freezer cant cool at all. Only the fan goes on and then I recorded the video below of a brief clicking sound that comes on about every 2 minutes coming from around the compressor/relay. I removed the relay to check to see if there are any loose pieces inside but it made no sounds. Any advice? Is my compressor dead? - don't laugh... I'm a beginner

Please check the video attached to this post. Thanks so much in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_2554.MOV
    14.4 MB · Views: 0

gizmoduck

Premium Member
I watched a few videos online and used a multimeter to check the prongs coming out of the compressor.... I was able to get continuity between 2 of the prongs only. All other measurements came back without a reading.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I'm a old timer, and don't know my Celsius. LOL at myself.:)
Lets convert to Fahrenheit.
-2C--->28.4F
-18C--->-0.4F
-8C--->17.6F

Yes, it sounds like your compressor is bad, look at this photo below. On the compressor pins C to S should be between 3-11 ohms, C to R should be between 1-5 ohms.

Compressor Testing (1).jpg