• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Frigidaire Upright Freezer FFH17F7HWC frozen freezer coils - don't laugh... I'm a beginner

gizmoduck

Premium Member
Model Number
FFH17F7HWC
Brand
Frigidaire
Appliance repair newbie here.

Hi, around 2 months ago I noticed the temperature readout on my upright freezer struggling to stay below around -10 C. I took off the cover and found the freezer coils to be completely frosted over. This was my first time trying to repair a freezer. After following some youtube videos I diagnosed the problem to be a faulty defrost thermostat as there was no current running through the thermostat (it was still very cold at the time of testing). I replaced the thermostat with a new one from Amazon and I was super proud when everything seemed to be working great. Wife was super impressed. 2 days ago I noticed the exact same issue happening, the temperature could not get below about -9 C. I opened up the panel and found the freezer coils to be completely frosted over again (See photo below)!! I checked for current through the thermostat (while frozen) and I got a current, so I assume its working. I checked for a current though the defrost heater assembly and I got a current with my meter. The freezer is in good shape with good insulation around the door. No strange noises. No obvious electrical or circuitry bugs. From further youtube research I began to suspect the control board could be malfunctioning as it seems like the defrost heater must not be functioning. I tried to see if I could access the control board but I'm having a lot of trouble removing the face plate with the control display and control board from the freezer door. Perhaps I'm not being rough enough. I tried prying it off with a scraper. I was able to hear a few "pops" from the top segment but I cant get the panel off with my current level of force. Any advice on better diagnosing/repairing would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

IMG_2305.JPG

gizmoduck

Premium Member
So far I've used these videos for diagnostics and repair:

But as above... Im stuck now

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

We don't recommend getting parts on amazon, too many faulty parts come from there, and there is no quality control oversight there either. We recommend AppliancePartsPros and RepairClinic.

Also to properly check the defrost thermostat, we ohm test it for continuity while its frosty or in a cup of ice water waiting at least 5 minutes before ohm testing it.

There is a HOW TO video in this link that shows you how:

Here's the defrost thermostat for your model:
297216600 Defrost Thermostat

If the defrost thermostat and defrost heater ohm test good, then yes the control board is the culprit.

Here's the control board for your model but it's on factory backorder wherever I check:

Watch this video to remove the old control board:

Jake

gizmoduck

Premium Member
Thanks for your detailed response Jake. When I ohm tested the thermometer (while it was still incased in ice) and defrost heater I got a positive buzz from the ohm meter.

I saw the video that you posted about removing the control board. With my prying I was able to hear around 3 clicks (likely from breaking clips) on the top side of the control panel. I wasn't able to elicit and "pops" from below. It looks like there are around 6 clips from the video? It looks like they only sell the circuit board and not the cover so I'm trying not to break the cover. Any other advice to remove the control panel? Thanks again.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, I believe its 6 clips.

It looks like they only sell the circuit board and not the cover so I'm trying not to break the cover. Any other advice to remove the control panel?
Nope, that video is the exact way I do it as well. Just keep watching the video and you will get it off.

Jake