• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Frigidaire upright freezer FGFU19F6QFB no condenser fan after lightning strike.

IUFAN

Premium Member
Model Number
FGFU19F6QFB
Brand
Frigidaire
We got struck by lightning and the breaker for our freezer was popped. When turned back on the condenser fan won’t run. I’ve done the reset sequence and it won’t take off. I’m showing infinite resistance across the fan motor but I have read that diagnostic check may not work if it has a control board issue. Any help with diagnosis so I order the correct parts?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Remove the electrical connector to the condenser fan motor and check voltage to the condenser fan motor and see if you get 120 volts to it while the compressor is running. If so and the condenser fan motor is not running, then its bad.

Here's the condenser fan motor for your model:
297279500 Condenser Fan Motor

If you get NO 120 volts to it, then your controller took the hit:

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
You nailed it!

Order that controller and you should be back in business.:)

Also you mentioned you are getting infinite resistance across the fan motor, the fan motor should be showing 0-1 ohms, so its bad too if you are getting infinite resistance.

So I'd order both if I was you.

Jake

IUFAN

Premium Member
Well I am at a loss now. I’ve replaced the controller board and the condenser fan and I still can’t get the condenser fan to run. There just isn’t much more to replace. What could I be missing that is keeping the fan from running?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Check for a broken wire to the condenser fan motor.

Also do this again--->Remove the electrical connector to the condenser fan motor and check voltage to the condenser fan motor and see if you get 120 volts to it while the compressor is running. If so and the condenser fan motor is not running, then its bad.

If you get NO 120 volts to it, then your new controller is bad.

Did you order the new controller from APPLIANCEPARTSPROS here:

Jake

IUFAN

Premium Member
They were back ordered so I ordered the same part from another company. I don’t see any broken wires. I’ll do the voltage check again. Compressor relay doesn’t trigger the fan voltage, does it?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Compressor relay doesn’t trigger the fan voltage, does it?
When the compressor comes on the condenser fan motor should come on at the same time.

So yes, check the voltage to the condenser fan motor while the compressor is running.

Jake