Frigidare Window A/C blowing water out vents

Larry Tippner

Premium Member
Jake need your help.

Have a 10,000 BTU Frigidare window A/C that was used last summer and then put in storage. Worked well prior to storage. The problem is I installed it for my son in an apartment and now it blows water out through the vents from the fan. I leveled it back so it would drain outside and that is fine. I am thinking that a drain line must be clogged up. It blows cold air so that is not a problem. Any suggestions and how do I take this apart to fix it.

Frigidaire
Model FAC104P1A
10,000 BTU
Date on unit 2/2009
Serial KK90745218

Thanks,

Larry Tippner

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes Larry, you will likely need to take the window unit outside and clean the bottom base of it with a water hose, before careful not to get any water on the electrical parts of it, I've seen many clog over the years from the evaporator drain line that runs on the base bottom to the back.

Also spray the water hose through the front evapoartor coils when outside.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok sounds good Larry.

Jake

Icehouse

HVAC Tech
While you are at it clean both evaporator and condenser coils. I use a foaming bathroom cleaner when out of coil clean. :)

Icehouse

HVAC Tech

Larry Tippner

Premium Member
Jake,

Looks like I need to take this unit apart as water is still blowing into the room. First what are the steps to taking this unit apart to try to locate the blocked evaporator drain line. Also exactly what am I looking for.

One last thing, I don't see any hole in the base that would allow water to drain out.

Larry Tippner

Icehouse

HVAC Tech
:3: There is no hole as the condenser fan blade has a "Slinger" ring around it. As the blade spins it picks up condensate and "Slings" it against the condenser help cooling it off. This makes for a more efficent unit. :)

Icehouse

HVAC Tech

Larry Tippner

Premium Member
Then what would cause it to "sling" the water out the front vents and into the room? The floor was all wet. What water didn't sling into the room was around the vents and dripped onto the floor.

Jake thought it may be a clogged evaporator drain line. Do you agree?

Larry Tippner

Icehouse

HVAC Tech
:3: There is a channel (drain) in the base that allows the condensate to flow back toward the condenser which can get clogged up with dirt, dust etc.
Make sure this is clean. Also the addition of "Slime-Out" tablets help to alleviate this condition.
Check and be sure the unit is pitched outward and downward (1/4 bubble on a level). :)

Larry Tippner

Premium Member
Over the 30 years I have installed window A/C;s, this is the first that doesn't drain water outside!! So no water will ever drain out of the unit. I always put a level on the outside part of the A/C to make sure there is more pitch than suggested.

So I do not have to take the unit apart. Just take a hose to it making sure I don't hit the electricial parts. I need to try to get into the bottom area where there is a channel and clean it out. I assume since the bottom has no openings I have to work from the sides or back through the air vents to spray the unit.

Larry

Icehouse

HVAC Tech
:eek: Take it out and remove outer casing. Gently loosen the screws holding the coil and lift slightly avoiding damage.
:confused: The first in 30 years ??????????

Larry Tippner

Premium Member
Jake,

Trying to fix the window A/c where water is blowing out the front vents. A gentleman from IceHouse had responded to me earlier today. You indicated to clean the bottom out with a garden hose. You also indicated it could be the evaporator drain line that runs to the back.

I have the cover off and for the likes of me I can't figure out how water can get into the blower wheel area as the wheel is totally encased with styrofoam which is number 6 and 3 on the diagram and the wheel sits within #1 on the diagram.

I guess I am just trying to figure out what I am looking for to be clogged. When you say drain line I normally think of a rubber hose but there aren't any.

The other gentleman suggested taking the screws out on the evaporator and lifting it up gently. To do this then I need to remove the #3 styrofoam and then get to the evaporator. I can't take #1 styrofoam out without taking the wheel out?? I am trying to fix this without taking everything apart.

You seem to simplify things for all of us to follow. Your assisstance is greatly appreciated. I know just take the darn thing outside and hose it off.

Larry Tippner

Icehouse

HVAC Tech
;) Take it out and bring it to a car wash. Let them steam clean it for you and that should get the dirt out.
Just cover the electrical with a plastic bag.
When reinstalling check the level as suggested. :eek: Not all drains have a rubber hose.

Larry Tippner

Premium Member
Hey Jake,

Are you around? Nobody has been able to help me with my problem. I took the unit apart and cleaned everything. Made sure the channel drain is clean. Put the unit back together, ran it and the water is draining to the back but still having the same problem. Water is splashing out the front vents, mainly the one on the left as you are facing the unit.

I have taken this unit apart 3 times, cleaned everything and made sure the channel is open but to no avail. I have tried everything the group from IceHourse Tech said but now it is your turn. You have always been successful with me in the past.

Larry Tippner

I really don't care

Larry Tippner

Icehouse

HVAC Tech
IceHourse Tech here :mad: Put a wooden chock under the left front of the unit. Maybe your "Hourse" is a little lopsided.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Well, looks like Bob is upset, and unfortunately I have no clue why this is doing this, I'm stumped as well, sorry Larry.

Jake

Icehouse

HVAC Tech
Well, looks like Bob is upset, and unfortunately I have no clue why this is doing this, I'm stumped as well, sorry Larry.

Jake
:3: 1st "Icehouse" not Icehourse, Jake you did not catch the sarcasm ?

2nd. Thirty years installing A/C's and still having all these problems ?

3rd. Last post statement tells the obvious "Seems to be comming
left side front and was tilted back, raise side in question.
I always have wood chocks just for that reason.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes Bob, I did catch the sarcasm, but just wanted to make sure it was sarcasm and not a typo.

I'm stumped to why this is happening to Larry, When I worked in South Texas we would take window AC's out of the windows 10 hours a day to clean the coils and never had one that would continue dripping inside and South Texas is hot and humid.

Now if the window AC was not properly insulated in the window then yes I would see it condensate and drip inside.

Jake