Frigidare Window A/C blowing water out vents

Larry Tippner

Premium Member
No there was no sarcasm. As I was not getting anywhere with techs from Icehouse I kept asking for Jake only and kept getting a reply from Icehouse techs. I appreciate the effort but they were not answering the questions I asked and they don't seem to treat people right. They are very blunt and that is not the reason I joined this forum. We are not the experts and look for guidance as to whether we can fix something and the detail steps to accomplish that. That is what Jake has always provided. They did not try to establish a dialog just shoot from the hip hoping that would fix the problem. Well, we are well beyond that point. I am not the expert and did not and do not claim to be. That is why I joined this forum. Now let's get beyond this.

Jake, I am stumpted also. I have made sure it is tiilted back more than necessary. I had it in two different windows and on a table and made sure it was level from side to side. I took it apart. I took the two top styrofoam pieces out and cleaned out the channel below the evaporator. Water is now draining back but wasn't initially. After taking the top styrofoam piece out there is water in the bottom of the styrofoam Scroll blower housing depicted an #1 in the diagram. I have taken this unit apart 3 times and made sure the styrofoam pieces fit snugly and also put duct tape on them to secure them. Water only seem to be spitting out the right side which is the left side if facing the unit.

This is a 2009 unit and my daughter had it in her apartment until December 2010 without incident and then she moved. I had stored it at my house and now my son got an apt and I moved it to his location. All we did was move it to his apartment and install it. Tried two different windows. Brought it home and have it in my basement on a table and it still boows out water through the right vent. Like I said, I have had it apart 3 times and I can't see where the water could be coming from.

Is there a chance that this unit was recalled or had a repair notice/fix out by Fridgidare for this reason.

Thanks Jake and my appologies to the gentleman at Icehouse if I ruffled some feathers.

Larry

Icehouse

HVAC Tech
Over the 30 years I have installed window A/C;s, this is the first that doesn't drain water outside!! So no water will ever drain out of the unit. I always put a level on the outside part of the A/C to make sure there is more pitch than suggested.

So I do not have to take the unit apart. Just take a hose to it making sure I don't hit the electricial parts. I need to try to get into the bottom area where there is a channel and clean it out. I assume since the bottom has no openings I have to work from the sides or back through the air vents to spray the unit.

Larry
Read your statement here about over thirty years. When I see this I start to wonder, that is the reason of my being BLUNT .

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Is there a chance that this unit was recalled or had a repair notice/fix out by Frigidaire for this reason.
Not that I'm aware of Larry. Since I moved from South Texas 10 years ago, I rarely ever fix anymore window A/C's here in Oregon, its not the extreme heat as in South Texas.

So I'm kinda out of the loop of these newer ones.

Jake

RL Avery

I've had the same problem with 2 window units. It seems in humid climates moisture is pulled off the cooling coils by the squirrel cage fam and since there is no way for it to escape the styrofoam housing it is picked up by the fan and blown out the vents. I fixed mine by cutting small hole in the styrofoam below the squirrel cage so the water can drain out. This isn't the best fix since the holes allow outside air to be pulled in and they get clogged easily. Does anyone have a better solution?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I fixed mine by cutting small hole in the styrofoam below the squirrel cage so the water can drain out.
Now that you mentioned that, I believe I recall doing this exact same thing on 1 or 2 that had this issue, and it worked.

I had forgotten all about doing that, thats for posting that.:)

Jake