Front Loader questions

jsrabbit

Hi everyone,

I would like some opinions and specific answers, if anyone here can assist me.
I want a front loader.
I love your site and have been reading here and all over the net, trying to figure our which one to buy. I still have not decided on a model, but I have a good idea of what not to take a risk on.

I am looking to spend the least amount and get the most for my money. My biggest fear is of having it break down. But then, I cannot seem to get more than three years out of a top loader anymore, without something wearing out on it.
Sigh.
Some days want to get back my old early 70's Maytag that is still being used without one repair, since I gave it away 12 years ago.

I am not a bells and whistles person. I cook on a 1924 gas range. That tells you I like simplistic and durable!
At the least, I want a model I can fix myself. I live in rural America, and the closest repair person is 150 miles away. A trip here, to diagnose, and another to come back to repair is enough to buy a new car.... :3:
not to mention the down time without a washer.

Any specific recommendations you want to give?

I also have two questions....
first, does water pressure affect a front loader?

I ask because I have had two dishwashers, and they seem to have a timed fill cycle. I have deduced the float in the bottom is only to prevent flooding, not to judge water level before running the cycle. As my water pressure is lacking, I have to stay close while it is running, and shut it off and turn the dial around again, to give it time to fill properly.

Now my top loader washers used the float system. They fill to the level set, then pause, then wash.
Is that how a front loader works? Or is it a timed fill like the dishwasher?
If it is, I just as well give up my dream.

I live in a small town, and we are dang lucky to have running water. The system will not be upgraded anytime soon, so I must work around our water supply.

Another issue I wonder about....
I have fur. I work with Shelties, and I am always covered with fur. I also wash bedding.
While fur did not kill my other washers, I wonder what kind of filter system a front loader has. Should I just forget it?

I miss the old tray that sat atop the Maytags agitator and strained the fuzz and fur out of the wash water as it agitated.
sigh.

Any advice or specific information anyone can spare would be greatly appreciated. I have to decide before shopping in the big city. I want to know before I go, what I want to bring home.

Thanks.
j's rabbit

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Very good questions,

On the filling, its controlled by a non-adjusting water level switch like the top loaders ones that are adjusting. Now if your water has at least some pressure behind it, and it doesn't just trickle in the machine, then you should be ok.

All washers made today use a auto-matic filter, which means all the stuff gets washed out the drain, then the dryers filter most of the rest.

Now the Kenmore front loaders made by Whirlpool, or the Whirlpool brand itself, have a filter in the water pump, thats very easy to unclog, its in the bottom access panel, but it usually only clogs on very large stuff that get stuck in it like baby socks, etc.

So that would be a good front loader to get.

Jake

deckeda

Premium Member
jsrabbit said:
... As my water pressure is lacking ...
I realize this is an old thread. Just wanted to comment that there are water pressure "increasers" available. (don't know what they're really called).

I think it's an air tank or pressurized water tank that installs near the hot water heater or where water enters the house.

Anyway, they're designed to give you increased water pressure for a certain number of minutes, long enough to run a washer/dishwasher/take a shower etc.

parkdoc

Premium Member
GE Front Loader

I have owned a GE like the one in the pix for about 6 months. It is an amazing washer; however, I would not buy it again because there is a hidden filter that clogs and you have to remove the bottom panel for cleaning this filter. I think some high level models must have a filter that is available for cleaning without a service man. Before my purchase, I asked about the filter and was told the dirt goes down the drain and is caught between the opening of the door gasket for easy removal. This is a lie. There is no mention of this in any of the owner manuals or video. Yes it might catch quarters and dollar bills, but not all lint and dirt. Had to call GE for service and discovered this hidden filter that requires the removal of the front panel to clean.