front loader recommendation

wapitiscat

Premium Member
I'm anticipating the death of my 15 yr. old Kenmore and want to start shopping for a replacement now. What sub $1000 front loader do you all recommend. I'm interested in medium to large capacity (handling a sleeping bag would be nice) and energy and water conservation. What say ye appliance gurus?

Todd

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
The one I recommend is either the Sears Kenmore HE3/HE4 or the Whirlpool Duet.

Jake

ron in sc

Premium Member
Do you think those are better than the Speed Queen CST90 front loader?

I was looking at one last year when I had the bearing problem. I was going to put current washer in garage and use Speed Queen in house. With my most recent problem I'm again considering the Speed Queen even if I get the Frigiaire fixed.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I'm not sure about the Speed Queen front load washer Ron, I have never seen one here in Oregon yet. The Speed Queen brand I know is very reliable and a good brand. I would say it would be a good washer to get as well.:)

Jake

ron in sc

Premium Member
Jake,

I took your recommendation and bought a new Whirlpool Duet, not the Sport model at Lowes yesterday. I got the service contract too.

I've did not get a dryer since the old one works great, a Sears 110 model, 90 plus series. Unfortunatly my wife wants them to match, I think that's ridiculous. I said they do match perfectly; they both work great.

What's your recommendation on a dryer, the newer style ones that will match the washer? I've read that some people have had issuses with the Duet Sport dryer, how about the regular Duet?

Also do you recommend a service contract on a dry? I've had very few problems with dryers and the ones that did need work were easy and inexpensive fixes.

thanks, ron

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, the Duet dryer is very good, and reliable. You shouldn't need a service contract on the dryer.:)

I remember when I was a kid, I distinctly remember our washer and dryer never matched, or course most washers & dryers in the 70's were in the garage, so it wasn't that important for them to match I guess. But since most are in homes now, to women it matters:) , us men it wouldn't, as long as they worked good, thats all that matters to us.:) But theres an old saying, if momma ain't happy no one's happy!

I'm glad you got the Whirlpool Duet Front-Load Washer, good choice.:)

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes Ed, the Sport model has been very reliable too.:)

Jake

dbhogan

Premium Member
of these 3 machines which one is the best in the long run, and will last the longest? I just had my frigidaire front load fall apart, the plastic that was holding it up broke and you recommended not repairing it.

So.... wondering shoudl we go with :

Miele
Whirlpool 9400
Whirlpool Duet sport?

Is the extra money worth it for the 9400? Why is it more?

We do a lot of laundry, cloth diapers etc... so it would be nice to have a machine that doesn't break after 5 years like the Frigidaire did.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
The Whirlpool 9400 have been out in the market longer than the others, and have proven themselves more reliable.

Jake