• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FRS26KF5CS0 Frigidaire Fresh side too cold, I've tested everything....HELP!

Xoloski

Model Number
FRS26KF5CSO
Brand
Frigidaire
Hi, I have an Frigidaire
Model: FRS26KF5CS0
SN: LA34801790
The initial problem was the defrost timer ADC was not allowing a defrost cycle.
I replaced the ADC board as a diagnosis of exclusion because I inspected and tested all of the below items and found them to work properly.
  • Condenser coils are clean and unobstructed
  • Compressor is running
  • Compressor fan is running
  • Evaporator fan is running
  • Defrost heater element has continuity ~ 25 ohms
  • Defrost limit thermostat has continuity ~ below 20°, is open above that
  • Freezer thermostat has continuity at ambient temperature, is open at far counterclockwise detent (off position), is open when placed in freezer for 10 minutes, then closes as it warms up.
  • Fresh food thermostat has continuity at ambient temperature is open when placed in freezer for 10 minutes, then closes as it warms up.
  • Air dampener door synchronous motor has continuity and closes when thermostat switch is turned off.
  • Air dampener door microswitches (2 each microswitches) have continuity and open as operator shaft is rotated through cycle.
  • Air dampener door moves freely throughout entire range
  • Wiring harness from fresh food control area to defrost thermostat has continuity
  • Wiring harness from fresh food control area through defrost heater element has continuity
I purchased the ADC substitution device which is (I think) a electromechanical old style defrost timer coupled to a relay/timer that monitors how often and long the door is open. Picture below.
Now, after all this, the freezer side gets to the freezing range but, the fresh food section gets too cold, even after adjusting the fresh food thermostat to be warmer. I did again remove the fresh food thermostat, and retested it for continuity and there is a closed circuit at ambient temperature, an open circuit after some time in the freezer and the unit clicks and the circuit again closes as the thermostat warms back to room ambient temperature.
What could I possibly be missing?

Attachments

• Pantry Fridge defrost timer substitute .jpg
    Pantry Fridge defrost timer substitute .jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 51

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Xoloski said:
the freezer side gets to the freezing range but, the fresh food section gets too cold, even after adjusting the fresh food thermostat to be warmer

There are only 2 things that could cause the refrigerator compartment to get colder than normal, a problem with the damper assembly or the refrigerator side thermostat. A thermostat is more likely to malfunction intermittently than the damper IMO

Frigidaire FRS26KF5CS0 Refrigerator Side Thermostat.

Xoloski said:
I did again remove the fresh food thermostat, and retested it for continuity and there is a closed circuit at ambient temperature, an open circuit after some time in the freezer and the unit clicks and the circuit again closes as the thermostat warms back to room ambient temperature.

Just because it functions at some temperature doesn't necessarily mean it functions at the correct temperature. Unless you're testing it in its actual conditions, all that test does is confirm it isn't permanently defective. A thermostat is calibrated to operate at specific temperatures. Those calibrations can drift with time and usage.

Dan O.

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.