• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FRS26R4AQ4 - Frigidaire Side-by-Side - Freezer and Fridge NOT cold - Evaporator Fan Not Spinning (But Good)

christech11

Premium Member
Model Number
FRS26R4AQ4
Brand
Frigidaire
Hello All,

A few days ago we noticed our side-by-side was not getting cold enough in both the freezer and the fridge side.

First thing we did was remove the back panel and clean the condenser coils and fan. Little dusty but not too bad; condenser fan runs. Also, it sounds like the compressor kicks on.
Next, removed the lower panel at the back of the freezer and noticed two things: (1) Ice build-up just below the evaporator fan on top of coils. (see photo) and (2) the evaporator fan was not spinning.

First thought was perhaps the fan could be bad. I removed the wire connectors (brown wire and red/white wire) from the fan and performed an ohm test. Result: 83. To make sure fan was good, I hooked up an outside 110 power source and confirmed fan runs fine.

Next, I turned my multi meter to voltage to see if any voltage was getting to fan. No voltage at fan motor terminals or from the connector coming out the through the back of freezer (connector in photo).

What could be the reason the fan is NOT getting power? Does the defrost thermostat control power to evaporator fan and perhaps the defrost thermostat is bad? Or could it be the adaptive defrost control board is not sending the voltage?

Would appreciate guidance on next steps to hone in on root cause. Thanks!

Best Regards,

Chris

Attachments

• Frigidaire Freezer.jpg
    Frigidaire Freezer.jpg
    317.3 KB · Views: 31

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Chris,

You have a sealed system problem, look at the photos of the evaporator coils below. See the photo on the very top right? That's just like yours is doing.

The sealed system consists of the compressor, condenser, evaporator, heat exchanger, filter/drier and refrigerant. Common problems with a sealed system are bad compressors, refrigerant leaks, and system restrictions. Sealed system repair costs will often exceed the machines value.

Frost Patterns.jpg

Jake

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

Your picture shows what looks like a major system problem....leaker, restriction, inefficient compressor or any combination of these = BIG$ repair or new refrigerator time.

jeff.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
What could be the reason the fan is NOT getting power? Does the defrost thermostat control power to evaporator fan and perhaps the defrost thermostat is bad? Or could it be the adaptive defrost control board is not sending the voltage?
That would be the adaptive defrost control board not sending power to that fan motor, so that is bad too. And its No Longer Available.

Jake

christech11

Premium Member
Hi Chris,

You have a sealed system problem, look at the photos of the evaporator coils below. See the photo on the very top right? That's just like yours is doing.

The sealed system consists of the compressor, condenser, evaporator, heat exchanger, filter/drier and refrigerant. Common problems with a sealed system are bad compressors, refrigerant leaks, and system restrictions. Sealed system repair costs will often exceed the machines value.

View attachment 50622

Jake

Hello Jake,

Thanks for that visual. Super helpful!!

Glad I didn't spend money replacing any parts. Already started shopping for a new refrigerator.

Best Regards,

Chris

christech11

Premium Member
Hi,

Your picture shows what looks like a major system problem....leaker, restriction, inefficient compressor or any combination of these = BIG$ repair or new refrigerator time.

jeff.

Jeff,

Thanks for your viewing my post and providing your input.

The shopping has begun for a new fridge. :)

Best Regards,

Chris

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Sounds good Chris.(y)

Jake