• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FRTC035GM Frigidaire mini fridge/freezer: freezer working fine; fridge not getting cool enough

ChrisR

Premium Member
Model Number
FRTC035GM
Brand
Frigidaire
I inherited a Frigidaire mini fridge/freezer (2 doors, separate compartment for freezer). The freezer section gets very cold (0 degrees), but the refrigerator only gets down to about 50. I'm trying to troubleshoot, but I can't even find screws to get any panels off in order to check coils or fans (are there even any fans on this model?) or anything. I can get to all of the components in the back, but I can't get to anything else -- it all seems to be sealed inside. Is there a secret way in? And any thoughts on why this would be happening and if I can fix it? Other things to note:

- It's currently in the middle of my garage, so plenty of air flow around it
- Condenser turns on and stays on until the freezer is sufficiently cooled, then cuts off. Condenser gets quite hot while it's working.
- The sides of the fridge get warm as well (I assume that's where the coils are).

Thanks!

Chris

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
ChrisR said:
Condenser gets quite hot....
When the compressor starts running hot there's a problem in the sealed system. That's a simple system. It just uses a single thermostat for both compartments. These machines are basically throw away machines. It would cost twice as much to fix it than replace it.

ChrisR

Premium Member
Thanks, Rick. I appreciate the quick response. That's kind of what I feared/suspected. So much for a free fridge!