FIXED FTF530FS3 Front Loading Washer Runs... and then stops until we turn the dial and start again.

bes1208

Premium Member
Model Number
FTF530FS3
Brand
Frigidaire
Recently, our front loading washer has stopped mid cycle. When we go to the machine and find it has stalled, we turn the dial a little bit and start it again. Usually it will not complete the cycle before stalling out. I just realized that if I start the washer with just a small click past "Lite Wash" it will run the whole way through.

Any idea what part(s) need to be replaced? I have read through most of the posts on this forum and most seem to deal with the Affinity washer and I didn't see any about this model.

Thank you for your help.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

The motor control board is the cause of this problem. Seen this happen many times on my service calls through the years.

Here's the motor control board for your model below you can order:
Motor Control Board 134149220

Jake

bes1208

Premium Member
Thanks. I went ahead and ordered the part. It said it might also be the timer or the water inlet valve. You sound reputable so I am going with your advice.

Thanks. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, I've replaced many of these motor control boards for this same problem, and it fixed them all.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That's very strange, it should fo fixed it, did you order it from RepairClinic?

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

bes1208

Premium Member
I checked out the link you included above and yes we did buy the board through the link you provided for Repair Clinic.

On the other thread it says the timer clicks and advances. On our machine, it just stops dead. The timer (dial) doesn't advance. Nothing runs. The door latch light is still on and the door is locked but nothing happens unless I turn the dial a bit more and start it again. It may still stall out and have to be pushed.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Wait, when the door latch light is on then you turn the dial a little to start it again what does it do next? Drain and spin?

Jake

bes1208

Premium Member
Wait, when the door latch light is on then you turn the dial a little to start it again what does it do next? Drain and spin?

Jake
Once I turn the dial a bit, it usually will start back up a bit. Here is a video that I shot to show you what is happening.

[video=youtube_share;U6l0N_BuCss]https://youtu.be/U6l0N_BuCss[/video]

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, I saw the video, but I didn't hear it drain and go into spin. Because after LIGHT WASH it should drain and spin. Then refill with RINSE water to go through the RINSE CYCLE, see what I'm saying?

So if you put it on FINAL SPIN, it does drain and spin fine?

If so, then it must be a timer problem, since you already replaced the motor board. But this is very rare to ever see a timer go bad on this model. I've always replaced the motor board and it fixed them all.

Here's the timer for your model you can order:
Timer 137394000

So I'd order the timer and put your original motor board back in and see if the new timer fixes it, if so, then you can return the motor board for full refund, less shipping.

Jake

bes1208

Premium Member
Yes, once I give the dial a little push, it works goes through the rest of the cycle without a problem.

BUT... if I start it on HEAVY WASH, it will stall out after a few minutes. If I give the dial a push, it will go fine until a little after LITE WASH as I pointed out on the video.

So with that information I just gave you, do you still think it's the timer?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, it has to be the timer since the motor speed control board is new.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good, keep us posted.

Jake

bes1208

Premium Member
I just got around to installing the timer last night. I got to the point where I had to unscrew the two screws holding the timer in place. The two screws are locked tight. I can't seem to get them off and I've started stripping them. I've used different types of bits, I tried by hand, tried with a drill when that didn't work. Any suggestions?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

buzby

Premium Member
I've got the same washer, same problem. I've replaced both the motor board and the timer. Still gets stuck about halfway between light wash and final spin. Advancing the knob seems to allow it to start again, but can get stuck again. When it's stuck, there is a faint hum and the sound of trickling water. Could all of this be caused by a problem with a drain pump? Any other ideas?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yup, the cold water being off would cause it.:)

Glad that's all it was on yours.:)

Jake