FIXED FTF530FS3 Front Loading Washer Runs... and then stops until we turn the dial and start again.

bes1208

Premium Member
Hey there, Jake. You still around>?

Thanks again for your help last year on the washer issue I was having.

Unfortunately, I've got a new issue. The washer will run the whole way and buzz at the end. When we open the door, there is still water at the bottom of the drum. This happens not matter what cycle we start the machine on. It doesn't sound like it is doing the normal high-speed final spin.

I know this isn't the main topic of the thread but it's the same washer and I'm hoping you've seen this before.

Thanks!

-Brian

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Brian,

I would first check your drain pump, if something gets in it or the drain pump bearing is bad, it will make that noise and not drain all the water properly, thus it will never do the final high speed spin.

Take the lower front panel off then you'll see the drain pump with the 2 large rubber hoses attached to each end, get something to catch the water in, then remove the hose clamps, and see if something is in the drain pump, you can also remove the drain pump itself, by just taking out the 2 5/16" bolts that mount it to the washer base.

Here's the drain pump for your model:
Drain Pump 137108000

Video included in part link.

Jake

bes1208

Premium Member
Thanks. I got the pump out and I don't see anything in the pump itself. There was some stank ass standing water in the lines. Nasty. The buzz I mentioned in the previous post was the end of cycle buzz the machine normally makes at the end of the cycle. It's not making any abnormal noises.

After taking the pump out, I've looked it all over and I don't see how I can tell if the bearings are bad. I tried to spin the inside wheel by hand and it spun with some resistance.

Do you think that the drain pump is the culprit? I've attached some photos for reference.

Thanks!IMG_1644.jpgIMG_7457.jpgIMG_9642.jpgIMG_2640.jpg

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok,

Put it through a Rinse and Spin cycle, and stay with your machine, when it starts draining lift up your drain hose from your home drain pipe and see how fast the water is coming out.

If its a trickle, then check your hoses to the drain pump and out of the drain pump for clogs.

If no clogs and the drain is getting 120 volts to it when it should be draining, then its bad.

Jake

bes1208

Premium Member
Okay. Pull out a big nest of hair from the hose going into the pump. Think I got it all. Ran the cycle and didn’t drain it all. Just some. Checked the hose running out of the machine during the cycle and it was a trickle. I did notice the pump was rather loud. I don’t see anything else blocking but I may be wrong. Do you think the pump sounds right?

[video=youtube_share;kazxfEaFYE0]https://youtu.be/kazxfEaFYE0[/video]

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
The big hose going from the tub to the drain pump is now clear?

The normal size hose going from your drain pump to your drain pipe in the hose is clear?

If so, Yes, its the drain pump. And the video of the noise of it, sounds like its bad too.

Jake

bes1208

Premium Member
Hey there Jake, I thought I had replied but I guess I didn't.

It was the drain pump. All fixed now. Thanks for your help, again.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent Brian, glad to hear the new drain pump fixed it.:)

Thanks for the update!

Jake

bes1208

Premium Member
Jake,

When will I stop having issues with this machine? It's always during the worst times. Yesterday I was washing a load and there was this loud banging. I went to the machine and saw it had moved from where it was. It was banging against the ground violently and this piece was on found when I opened up the machine. The drum is slamming the motor against the ground during the high speed spin.

Is this a goner now?IMG_5895.jpg

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Yes, your suspension spring broke. The springs can become weak over time and break.

Here's the tub spring for your model you can order(order two, one for each side):
Suspension Spring 134144700

There is a video in the part link that shows you how to replace them.

Let us know how it goes.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Your welcome, let us know how it goes.:)

Jake

bes1208

Premium Member
Thanks, Jake. Replaced the springs. Easy. There was still a slight bang when the final spin cycle started but I could live with it. When the spring broke, unbeknownst the me, the tube running from the tub to the pump had come loose. When I filled the washer with a load of clothes and started it running, I left the room. I short while later, I returned to find the entire room flooded. The machine kept filling and filling not realizing there was a reason it wouldn't get full. After assessing the damage, we said we were done with this machine. Thank you for all of your help. It has been great.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Brian, I agree, sounds like its best now to buy a new washer.:)

But I have one question, your last post was in Oct. 2017 pertaining to your main topic you started with, did the timer fix it? I forgot to ask you when you came back in Nov. 2018 when you had the drain pump problem.:)

Jake

bes1208

Premium Member
Ok Brian, I agree, sounds like its best now to buy a new washer.:)

But I have one question, your last post was in Oct. 2017 pertaining to your main topic you started with, did the timer fix it? I forgot to ask you when you came back in Nov. 2018 when you had the drain pump problem.:)

Jake
Yes. Everything you suggested fixed the problems I had. Thank you. You are the best!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks Brian.:)

Jake