• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Furnace Draft Motor

qman

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Amana
My apologies but I did not get the make/model of the furnace so it's not an Amana 1234567. I stood by and watched a service tech do a service. I failed to poke my head in there and get the model number. He did tell me this furnace was built in 1997.

The draft fan on this old furnace is a FASCO 7021-9701. When I search on that model number I get the motor/fan/shroud assembly for near $200. Is there any way to get just the motor or one just like it? I've attached a picture.

BTW, this is what he did in the service:

1. Pull out the circulating fan and clean out the housing where this fan/motor sits
2. Vacuum all the dust and dirt and wipe down all surfaces that had dirt/grime on them
3. Change the Filter
4. Made sure it operated properly (we already knew it did though)
5. Check the temp at the warm air supply

Is that normal for a furnace service? I thought he was gonna oil and lubricate the motors or something like that. He said the motors were sealed and don't get serviced.

Attachments

• Heater Motor.jpg
    Heater Motor.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi qman,

We would need to model number of your furnace to find that motor.:)

He is correct, if the motor doesn't have any oil portholes on it, then its sealed and can't be oiled.:)

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Basically yes.

Jake

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
4. Made sure it operated properly (we already knew it did though)
5. Check the temp at the warm air supply

So is that typical for a service?

I'm sure they did other things you might not have noticed like check to make sure the heat exchanger wasn't spilt and leaking CO into the house. Maybe made sure the burner was igniting in a safe manor? I'm not an HVAC tech so don't know all the things that might require an inspection. I'm sure not all of them would require major dismantling to accomplish.

Look on the work order for the make and model number. Most technicians would record it.

Dan O.

Last edited: