• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

G-8 Rockstar Fridge

thirdeye11

Premium Member
Model Number
G-8
Brand
I'm unsure of the brand, but this is a Rockstar Beverage fridge. It looks just like this one (the first 4 pictures in this album)

bandepetersen's Library | Photobucket

I came home one day, the breaker was switched, and the whole house smelled badly of burnt electrical components. The fridge's fan still works, but it does not cool. The above pics are not those of MY fridge, but the below pics ARE my fridge:

image.jpgimage(1).jpg

What do I need to do to get this guy working again?

Higher res photos here:

http://i49.tinypic.com/20pc2s6.jpg
http://i47.tinypic.com/5me9ah.jpg

Cheers,
Chad

Attachments

• image(1).jpg
    image(1).jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 841
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 866
Last edited:

thirdeye11

Premium Member
It would appear so, yes. Air is blowing from the refrigeration unit below (I assume that's what you mean by compressor?) and you can tell it's on. Strong presence of burnt electrical smell in the general area as well.

Last edited:

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
The compressor and fan motor are not the same thing. The compressor is the black thing you took a picture of in your first post. Put your hand on it and feel for vibration.

thirdeye11

Premium Member
The compressor and fan motor are not the same thing. The compressor is the black thing you took a picture of in your first post. Put your hand on it and feel for vibration.

I may be confused then. There is air coming from the refrigeration unit (the first picture I posted) and it is also vibrating. There's only one unit below the fridge. Meaning, there is not a separate "fan motor" that I can tell.

rickgburton

Staff member
I may be confused then...there is not a separate "fan motor" ...
Yeah, you might have to call a refrigeration tech. Sorry, I don't think I can help you.

thirdeye11

Premium Member
Yeah, you might have to call a refrigeration tech. Sorry, I don't think I can help you.

I'm not giving you clear answers, or you're unfamiliar with the type of unit that I have? If you mention that you're unable to help, does that mean that no one else will respond here? Just trying to figure out what to do. I've done other appliance repairs in my home, and would prefer to DIY this.

Last edited:

rickgburton

Staff member
OK, let's try this one more time. This is a picture of a typical refrigeration unit like the one in your machine. Put your hand on the compressor and feel if it's running.
Refrigeration Condensing Unit.jpg

thirdeye11

Premium Member
Yes, the unit is vibrating, although I'm only about 50% certain that it's not being caused by the fan assembly right in front of it. Is there a way to disable the fan to tell for sure?

rickgburton

Staff member
If the compressor is running and it's not cooling then the compressor is most likely bad or possibly the relay and overload is bad if the compressor is not running. Remove it from the side of the compressor and inspect it visually first.

crosbyericm

Premium Member
Rockstar Fridge

If the compressor is running and it's not cooling then the compressor is most likely bad or possibly the relay and overload is bad if the compressor is not running. Remove it from the side of the compressor and inspect it visually first.

I know this is an awfully old thread, but hoping that someone can give me some insight. I just picked up a Rockstar Fridge (similar to the one pictured above), i got it for only $30 via local auction. It was sold as is and is not tested. The lighting works, but it seems like its getting hotter than it is cold.

The fan is working, but the compressor is HOT like a fireball. Would this be a indication that it is bad? Its not making any standard compressor noises that i can hear... its just damn hot! Im guessing since its hot its getting turned on..

Anyone have an idea what it would cost to replace the compressor if its bad? Should i just toss the whole thing?

Thanks for any help available. I dont have a clamp style amp meter to test for draw unfortunately. Auctions... geez.

rickgburton

Staff member
Sounds like maybe shorted windings in the compressor. It takes the same amount of labor and specialty tools to replace a compressor in a $30 refrigerator as it does a $3000 refrigerator, a repair cost around $700.

crosbyericm

Premium Member
Ouch.

Sounds like maybe shorted windings in the compressor. It takes the same amount of labor and specialty tools to replace a compressor in a $30 refrigerator as it does a $3000 refrigerator, a repair cost around $700.

That's about how my luck runs ;) I will pull the relay off the compressor and test the terminals for continuity. I saw a YouTube video that suggested that. Certainly can't justify $700 for a $300 promotional fridge.

Should have known it would be something like that price range, It was about the same when the homeless Tweakers stole the copper from my air conditioning outside during the winter and didn't crimp the lines properly. And that was just to vacate the lines and repressurize/test I believe. *Shrug*

Thanks for your quick reply to an old old thread. Much appreciated!

crosbyericm

Premium Member
Well, Mr. Rick, It would appear your educated guess was quite educated. :)

When measuring the compressors pins directly (relay and overload removed)
Common to Start measured exactly 11ohm - right on the high side.
Common to Run measured at 8.9ohms - slightly over the 1ohm-5ohm we (I) was hoping for..

Relay tests 5.7ohm and Overload tests at zero as it should...

With that being said - I am assuming this means the winding is shorted as your guessed. Is there any hope for it, or is it can time?

Any chance beating it with a mallet will help... LOL. I know electronics, but not HVAC.. just wondering if you can knock a short loose in a compressor? I'd guess not, but hey!

rickgburton

Staff member
Run windings are way too high. It's not shorted just worn out so there's nothing to knock loose. Beating it with a mallet won't help the compressor but may help you!...lol

crosbyericm

Premium Member
All the help is much appreciated - Its nice to find your answer on the first place you look - in just a few hours. Doesn't happen much. You just saved the local appliance man a free-estimate :) I suppose now i can sell it to some hipster for a bookcase.. lol.. Is it bad to vent the refrigerant to atmosphere/is it eco-safe? I'm just wondering if i should cut the compressor out or just get rid of it as a whole.

Again, thanks a ton. Im amazed at how much this little sucker weighs. Is it possible to pull a whole refrigeration unit out of a different fridge (such as one of these $100 walmart mini-fridges) and stuff it into one of these? or do these copper tubes go places that wont pull easily? (again, i have no clue on this.. Electronics is my game.. ) I guess I could try to pull all this out of this one and go from there eh? No money more lost if something goes crazy wrong...

Kinda depressing but at least i didn't pay much at this point.

rickgburton

Staff member
You need to cut the lines to get the evaporator out. Leave it in front of your house with a sign on it that says "FREE".

apena125

Premium Member
Hello, I have an IDW GCG10 (RockStar Energy Drink) Refrigerator, but it is has the same basic setup as the G8 pictured above. It blew very cold for the first several months I had it. I bought if off of a convenience store owner that had updated to a newer one. Well it slowly stopped cooling over the past few months. After checking, the compressor is running / cycling off and on every 30 minutes or so, which appears to be normal, but i noticed when the compressor cycles off, the condenser fan shuts off as well. The compressor is warm to the touch, but the temp in the fridge is not lowering at all now. There are no visibly burnt parts underneath and i have cleaned off /dusted the condenser and grills, etc., but it is still not cooling. Is it the thermostat? Or compressor relay? Or is it the dreaded bad compressor? Any assistance would be appreciated.

rickgburton

Staff member
I bought if off of a convenience store owner that had updated to a newer one. .....it slowly stopped cooling over the past few months.
I've dealt with a lot of convenience store owners over the years and I can tell you they don't replace anything that's still working. I think he had a problem with it and called someone to take a look at it. These machines are known to have refrigeration leaks. My guess is he found a leak. The repair costs would exceed the machines value. He probably added some refrigerant to the machine and explained to the owner it will work for a while.

Anyways, It sounds like you're describing a refrigerant leak. If the compressor is running and there is no cooling it's definitely a sealed system issue. The only way to diagnose the problem with the sealed system is by connecting a set of refrigeration gauges to the system. Those machines don't come with a service valve so if there's a service valve on the compressor process tube, it's been worked on before. The condensor fan is designed to run only when the compressor is running. If the compressor is running the relay is OK.