• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

G-8 Rockstar Fridge

apena125

Premium Member
Ah ok... makes sense. That explains why it worked/cooled perfectly for several months and slowly went hot on me. Looks like i may be getting rid of it since I would not know how to add more refrigerant, nor find and fix the leak. Oh will, I guess I got my moneys worth out if it while it lasted.

Thanks for taking the time to help confirm the compressor and relay are fine. I'll research adding coolant and finding/fixing leaks.
I truly appreciate it Rick!

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for taking the time to help confirm the compressor and relay are fine.
I can confirm the relay is fine but not the compressor.
I'll research adding coolant and finding/fixing leaks.
Here's the deal my friend, you need specialized tools and equipment not to mention you need to be certified by the EPA to work on sealed systems. On top of that you need to know how refrigeration systems work. And remember a leak is only one possibility. On that machine the refrigeration lines run through the sides and they're foamed in and not accessible. It may not be repairable. These machines can cost as much as $1000 new. The repair costs on the sealed system can be $700-$1000. Sealed system repairs are best left to the professionals.

Whenever you mention refrigerant leaks, for many people the first thing that comes to mind is adding a can of refrigerant to their automotive AC and it worked. Although they both work on the same principal they're two different animals. Just adding an unknown amount of refrigerant probably won't work.

apena125

Premium Member
Yeah, it sounds like I will be putting it on the curb with a FREE sign. Thanks again for helping me determine my next step with this. I will be buying something more suitable for residential use from Costco. The Rockstar fridge looked cool and all, but Costco has very reliable products better suited for my needs. Not to mention their generous warranty and return policy. Thanks again Rick!

Jerod24

Premium Member
I have a complete cooling system for sale for a g8! I would also be interested in trading my working cooling system for the shelves out of a g8 as well as the front bottom piece under the door. I'm pulling the cooling unit out and using the insulated box for a different project. Let me know what you need!