• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Garage refrigerator questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

jervil

Premium Member
The quick fix for a refrigerator in a below freezing garage.

I live in MN. My garage temp dips to a few degrees below freezing in the winter months. Run an extension cord to the inside of the refrigerator and plug in one or two small (7 Watt) night lights. The heat from the night lights will force the refrigerator to see a need to kick on several times a day. Since the temp sensor for the freezer and refrigerator is located in the above freezing portion of the box (The refrigerator not the freezer) the entire unit will stay at the same temps you experienced through out the summer months. I've done this for 6 years without failure.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
temp sensor for the freezer and refrigerator is located in the above freezing portion of the box (The refrigerator not the freezer)

That depends on the design of the particular refrigerator model involved.

Some refrigerator designs sense the refrigerator compartment temperature to turn the cooling on and off. On those, if ambient temperature drops below the thermostat setting (eg. below freezing for example), the compressor won't run often enough and the freezer may not get as cold as wanted

Other fridge designs sense the freezer compartment temperature to determine run time. On that design, the freezer compartment might keep proper temperature but the refrigerator compartment would often get too cold.

JFYI

Dan O.

Status
Not open for further replies.