• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

GB2FHDXWQ01 Whirlpool Refrigerator Shut down completely and after a couple of hours. Why the bars? cleaning coils

jellystone12003

Premium Member
Model Number
GB2FHDXWQ01
Brand
Whirlpool
Hey guys, I'm pretty much broke at the moment but Whirlpool Gold fridge is problematic. Shut down completely and after a couple of hours I reset fridge at lower cooling level, 3 instead of 5, and it is running . Reading up it seems likely to be dusty coils, so I clean out the couch and buy a coil brush as seen on youtube and take off the front cover and they have cleverly built a jail around the coils so all I can clean is the front one ( accordion pleating???). Discouraging but not surrendering. I can see dust back in there, but not the coils...
My question is this. If I empty out fridge and freezer and tilt the whole unit back against the wall could I then get behind their little picket fence to liberate the smothered coils? Or is there a simpler way that does not involve melting ice cream? I have no vacuum.

Added model number

Last edited by a moderator:

jellystone12003

Premium Member
not sure how it applies to the question but found it! GB2FHDXWQ01 serial number K00551607. It was my daughters but they upgraded about the time I moved so they gave it to me, saved them storage fees but still darn nice!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
If I empty out fridge and freezer and tilt the whole unit back against the wall could I then get behind their little picket fence to liberate the smothered coils? Or is there a simpler way that does not involve melting ice cream?
Yes, Clean the condenser coil, a clogged condenser coil will cause to much heat load on the condenser and compressor and it will not cool properly at times.

The factory recommends that you clean your condenser coil underneath your refrigerator every 6-12 months, if you have pets that shed hair, then every 3-6 months.:)

The condenser coil is located on the bottom of your refrigerator behind the front bottom kickplate grill. Just open both refrigerator and freezer doors, then pull that kickplate grill off, PULL HARD it just unsnaps.

Then get a vacuum cleaner attachment or condenser brush to clean your condenser. Even better would be if you have an air compressor or shop vac to blow the condenser coils out, yes its a bit more messy on your kitchen floor, but it cleans it thoroughly.:)

Vacuum Hose Attachment 8171579A

Refrigerator Condenser Cleaning Brush

Also pull your refrigerator out from the wall and clean in the back with a vacuum or brush. Make sure your condenser fan is blowing good as well.

Then open the freezer door and make sure your evaporator(freezer) fan is blowing.

Keep us posted.

Jake

jellystone12003

Premium Member
As noted in the post Jake I have no vacuum, didn't mention it but no air compressor either and besides the back is built like a bank vault, sheet steel from sixteen inches up to the top with not more than a gazillion sheet metal screws. There is a vent at the bottom left but I have to remove the back plate to get past it and the power and water lines are hooked into it. Only a dozen or so screws to deal with there. Don't know that this is a unit than can bite you even unplugged? Not really anxious to find out. No way to get the brush past the front coil which has welded picket fencing every half inch or so. The only way past the guard I can see is to tilt the whole unit back so I can reach beyond it. I take it you have no other suggestions? Are all refrigerators built with these child guards these days or am I just lucky? Seeing the dust in there I think only God is keeping this thing running at all...

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Then get that condenser brush its only $5 and change.:)

Having tech come out would be well over $100.

You only need to brush the front of the condenser coils.

Jake