• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

GB2FHDXWS09 Ice bin filling up and the freezing solid

PeterH48

Premium Member
Model Number
GB2FHDXW
Brand
We have a Whirlpool refrigerator that is giving us issues with the ice collection bin. This unit makes ice fine, but it freezes up in the bin. Even if the bin is emptied out, when the first layer of ice drops into the bin, it freezes up. If left un-emptied, it will fill completely up and become a solid block of ice cubes all stuck together.

We had a power outage while we were away on vacation last year in the winter time and the house was without power for about a week. This issue started right after that event. Not sure if that has anything to do with the problem, but trying to offer any info that might help in resolving this issue.

We have well water with a whole house filter on the supply line before the water line to the refrigerator. I do not think this unit has a separate water filter itself. What could be causing this? The serial number of the unit is K40618909

Last edited by a moderator:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Peter,

GB2FDXWS09 does not pull up as good, please recheck it.

Also if you can go buy a freezer thermometer, and put it in your freezer so you can tell us the temperature your freezer is when it does this problem.

Jake

PeterH48

Premium Member
Sorry Jake ! The correct model number is GB2FHDXWS09 I will pick up a freezer thermometer but its going to be hard to detect the exact time the unit is doing this. I'm thinking maybe just read and record the temp once an hour throughout the day. Do you suspect that the freezer temp is not constant?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks Peter,

Yes, it sounds like its not keeping constant freezer temperature. It should always be 10 degrees or lower at all times.

When you notice melting see what the temperature is with the thermometer.

Also see if the refrigerator is running or dead silent.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks bigbuck!

Jake

PeterH48

Premium Member
OK, we picked up a freezer thermometer and checked the freezer temp. It was -20 degrees. My wife had it turned all the way up because of the melting ice in the bin. We gradually lowered it to about 0 degrees. What exactly are we supposed to be doing now? Monitoring the freezer temp to make sure it maintains a 0 degree temp? Should we empty out the bin and start from scratch? Right now it is full and all the cubes are all stuck together.

Only the top 10 or 12 cubes on the very top of the bin are loose. All the rest are stuck together. If melting occurred in the bin, wouldn't it have to warm all the way up to 33 degrees? This seems like a very tricky issue. I was going to try to monitor the temp by checking it several times through the day, but right now, it seems to be holding steady at 0 degrees.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
If it holds steady at 0 degrees, then nothing is wrong.:)

I'm not sure I understand the problem then, make a video to show us what you mean by stick together. Mine in my ice container stick together naturally, but the auger motor unsticks them when they come out of the ice container.

If the ice cubes are molded together as one peice that you can't separate, then we have a problem.

Jake

PeterH48

Premium Member
Whirpool GB2FHDXWS09 Ice bin filling up and then freezing solid

I attached a couple of pictures of what is happening. The first picture is of the bin in the freezer. You can see only the top few cubes are loose. The second picture shows the entire contents of the bind, dumped out upside down in my kitchen sink. The temp in the freezer mostly holds steady at 0 degrees. Occasionally it will read colder like -4 or -6, but never any lower than that and so far never higher.

Attachments

PeterH48

Premium Member
Finally am seeing a difference in freezer temp. Got a reading of 16 degrees this morning. Still confusing though. Water freezes at 32 degrees, so in my mind how could a rise from 0-degrees to 16 degrees cause melting?

barryware

Premium Member
Finally am seeing a difference in freezer temp. Got a reading of 16 degrees this morning. Still confusing though. Water freezes at 32 degrees, so in my mind how could a rise from 0-degrees to 16 degrees cause melting?
Hi Pete..

I am not an appliance technician but through my own experience, I have a couple of thoughts.

1st.. It is normal for the temperatures to rise during and just a bit after a defrost cycle. I have a side by side in the basement and a French door in the kitchen.

I have a wireless doo-dad on both with temperature sensors in the freezer and fresh food compartments. The doo-dad has a display mounted to the outside of the fridge with magnets. The display shows current temp, min temp, and max temp. Search for "accu-rite".

That said.. The side by side, the freezer will go to +18 ~ 20 degrees in the freezer section during a defrost and the French door will go to +14 ~ 18.

As you point out.. Those temps will not let a bucket of ice melt into a block.

I would think that your icemaker is leaking water into the bin. The leak could be from overfilling, an actual leak with some water filling the tray and then some water going into the ice bucket, or...

My problem on the side by side was that my fill tube would freeze with a drop or two of water and then when filling next time, the frozen drop acted like a nozzle spraying the water into the ice tray instead of the stream of water flowing into the ice tray. Some of the spray went into the ice bin.

I found this by placing a paper towel in the ice bin. Once ice is harvested and the tray filled, the paper towel should remain dry. If wet, you have a leak.

The solution was I had to replace the valve that serviced the fill tube. It would fill, then stop but the valve would allow just a bit of water to "drip" into the fill tube causing that drip to freeze and turn into a nozzle that sprayed.

On the French door fridge.. This has a twist mold and the mold cracked so when filled, it would drip a bit onto the cubes.. This caused the icemaker to make ice logs..

Found both by using my paper towel trick.

In summary.. Look for a leak or a circumstance that allows water to drip into your ice bucket.

PeterH48

Premium Member
We tried the paper towel trick like you suggested and in a short time, it was soaking wet. I bet the inlet valve is not closing all the way. We have well water with allot of iron in it. I installed a whole house water fiter, but some if still gets by the filter. I best some iron has built up in there and it is preventing the valve from working properly. I found a video on youtube that shows how to replace it. Its behind the fridge at the bottom. I can get the valve through here for 40.00 I might just order it and give it a shot.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I see now Peter, yes that is a problem, and barryware is right on the money. It seems to be leaking from the water inlet valve, thanks barryware for helping Peter.

Here's the water inlet valve for your model:
WPW10498976 Valve

Let us know how it goes.

Jake

PeterH48

Premium Member
Thanks Jake and barryware. I ordered the valve here this morning. I will let you know how it turns out when we replace it.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Sounds good Peter.:)

Jake