GB2FHDXWS09 Ice Maker in lower freezer not making ice

mrfixit2248

Premium Member
Model Number
GB2FHDXWS09
Brand
Whirlpool
Ice maker quit making ice. Somehow I don't think it's getting water. Water supply line ok, no kinks. Have the water valve removed. Is there a way to test the water valve?

What else could be wrong or where do I start looking?

mrfixit2248

Premium Member
Bench tested the water valve. I guess this checks out ok, as firstly it reads about 195 ohms. Secondly, I put 120V on the terminals, and I can hear it operating.

Guess next will be to pull the ice maker, check the incoming water inlet to see its not frozen, then pull the control module off and see if there is some issue behind that, ie terminals, etc.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

You can jump the L & V on the module and that will send 120 volts to your water inlet valve and see if water comes out from your fill tube in the back of your ice maker. Just make a jumper wire.
OR
If you want to test the water inlet valve alone, the water inlet valve is in the back of your refrigerator where your water supply line hooks up to it.

You can buy a test cord here:
Test Cord - 110 Volt With Alligator Clips

or you can probably get a cheater cord like this at any hardware store in your area if you don't want to wait on ordering it, or use a old lamp cord.

Jeff has a good section on this here: http://www.applianceaid.com/icemaker-valvetest.html

jptl also shows you how he did it: Testing ice maker water supply at the solenoid

Report back what you find.:)

Here's the water inlet valve for your model if yours is bad:
WPW10498976 Valve

Here's the ice maker for your model you can order if your water inlet valve is good:
W10884390 Icemaker

Jake

mrfixit2248

Premium Member
Jake, thanks for the information.

I was taking the ice maker out and discovered the water line frozen at the ice maker. The valve was working fine. All back together now and waiting for ice. When that happens, I'll close this thread out.

Why this waited near six years to freeze up is beyond me. Nothing for the freezer settings and temp was ever changed.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Did the water company turn the water off to your house? I've seen that happen before, then it will ice up that fill tube, because the ice maker is still trying to make ice but no water is getting to it, just residue water that was left in the pressure from the water valve.

Jake