GBS18KBMAWW Need help accessing evap fan ge bottom freezer please :-)

Bignick

Premium Member
Model Number
GBS18KBMAWW
Brand
GE
Hello!
My GE GBS18KBMAWW bottom freezer gets cold as usual, but the refrigerator is staying warm (65 degrees F).
It just started doing this :-(
I'd like to check the evaporator fan to see if it's running but I cannot figure out how to remove panels to get at it!
I've got the doors off, ice maker out, and have removed any fasteners that I can see but I've no clue as how to remove
any panels to get at the evaporator fan!
I've located an exploded parts diagram. I've tried chatting with GE service but they just want to send over a service person. :-(
Can anyone please help or guide me to some service info?
Thanks very much!

Last edited by a moderator:

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
I cant get anything to come up with that model number. There's one model GE you access it from the FF section. Recheck you model number

Bignick

Premium Member
Yikes! YOU ARE CORRECT! I had swapped the first two letters in the model number! My bad :-(
It is indeed: GBS18KBMAWW

Bignick

Premium Member
Correct model # GBS18KBMAWW - how to disassemble please? photos

Profuse apologies, but I had previously posted an incorrect model number ..

It should have been: GBS18KBMAWW

I can't figure out how to remove the panels .. I'll try to post some photos.

It appears that the edges of any panels reside UNDER the edges of other panels ..
Any suggestions on how to disassemble without destroying anything?

Thank you all again!

PS: The images appear to be sideways .. I don't know why :-(

fridge_1.jpg
fridge_2.jpg

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks, GBS18KBMAWW works!

Rick should be here soon, but I found another thread from back in 2014 for this same evaporator fan motor.

Here's that thread: GDS18SBRARSS GE bottom freezer cold and fridge warm

Rick said this--->Open the fresh food section and remove the bottom crispers and lower shelf. Remove the screw in the front center of the floor and remove the floor. You can access everything from there.

Here's the evaporator fan motor for your model:
Evaporator Fan Motor WR60X10300

Jake

Bignick

Premium Member
Thank you immensely!
I did finally figure out how to remove that front-panel cross bar .. And then the retaining screw and floor.
What was throwing me was that the front panel cross bar was putty-ed into place? With a soft, gooey putty which also positions a thin copper-loop-tube for some reason?
Anyway by time I got the refrigerator disassembled, the refrigerator had been "off" for several days and many cups of water had appeared in the bottom of the freezer compartment.
I suspect that the evaporator coils were frozen up real good! The evap fan was operating just fine. The refrig is working now. I'll need to wait and see if the problem
recurs and if so, start troubleshooting the defrost system.
Thanks for the info and link to that thread!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Glad to hear you got access to it.:)

Yes, you can actually ohm test the defrost heater now to see if its good, do you know how to do that? if not watch this video: Defrost Heater Testing Video

Unfortunately, the defrost heater is No Longer Available, but if its bad you can take it to your local appliance parts store and they can likely match it up to a universal defrost heater the same length as yours.

Then if the defrost heater ohm tests good, then you can ohm test your defrost thermostat for continuity while its in a glass of ice water for at least 5 minutes before ohm testing it. Watch this video: Defrost Thermostat Testing Video

Here's the defrost thermostat for your model:
WR50X133 Thermostat, Defrost

Jake

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
What was throwing me was that the front panel cross bar was putty-ed into place? With a soft, gooey putty which also positions a thin copper-loop-tube for some reason?
That bar is called the mullion. The tubing is part of the condenser and acts to keep that mullion warm to prevent condensation from forming on it.

JFYI

Dan O.

Bignick

Premium Member
Dan .. Jake .. & everybody, thank you so much for this prompt informative reply!
I can't tell you what a pleasure it is to communicate with someone who's been there and is knowledgeable :)
Previously, I had tried to contact GE appliances in order to procure a service manual. Hah! Big joke. They've no interest in helping at all :-(
Now, I need to decide if I should let the fridge run long enough to see if it fails again, or if I should disassemble it again to check those components.
But at least now, I've got a handle on what and how to attack the issue.
Gracias amigos! :)

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Glad to help.:)

You can wait till it frosts up again to ohm test those parts.:)

Jake

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
I should let the fridge run long enough to see if it fails again,
It will fail again, nothing has been fixed. Your machine uses a defrost timer located in the control housing. Make sure the machine is running. Use a flat blade screwdriver to slowly rotate the timer one click at a time until the machine shuts off. The machine is now in defrost mode. Check if the heater turns on.