FIXED GC2224GEKB Maytag compressor runs all day witout stopping

flockman

Premium Member
Model Number
GC2224GEKB
Brand
Maytag
I have a problem with my side by side Maytag GC2224GEKB. The Compressor runs all day long without stopping. The freezer and fridge temperature is fine, but the compressor runs without stopping. I have replaced the following parts jazzboard, both Thermistors for fridge freezer. The defrost heater is good, the fans are both good, control damper replaced one month ago,the compressor has enough r134a. Does anyone has a suggestion?

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

What are the actual temps inside both sections? Post the results here.

jeff.

jeff1

Staff member
Fridge 35F freezer 5F
The Compressor runs all day long without stopping
*If* the refrigeration system was good/ok....running all of the time and the freezer should be MUCH colder than 5ºF!

So we might have an inefficient compressor not pumping 100%, leaker and low on refrigerant gas, restriction blocking the gas flow or a combination of these.

jeff.

flockman

Premium Member
Hello jeff, the compressor has enough gas. I have made a mistake by convert celsius into fahrenheit. The freezer has -1F/-18C instead of 5F/-15C. Settings on jazzboard 3/3. Do you know which thermistor shuts down the compressor?

jeff1

Staff member
The freezer has -1F/-18C instead of 5F/-15C.
Still not overly cold for running ALL of the time!!

Would have suspected -10ºF, -15ºF or even -20ºF.

the compressor has enough gas.
But is it pumping it?
Not over charged?...over charged and the unit will not cool properly.
Restrictions are common for weakening the output of the refrigeration system.
Post a picture of the frost pattern of the evaporator coil.

Do you know which thermistor shuts down the compressor?
Thermistors do not turn on or off anything. They do change resistance and this tells the control what is happening. Normally a relay on the control will turn the compressor on or off. On a SxS like yours, I'd suspect FF thermistors help the fan and air damper. FZ thermistors are more likely to help tell the control the temp is ok you can shut down the compressor.

jeff.

flockman

Premium Member
Hello Jeff, the fridge runs now. I have changed the Temperature adjustment setting for the fridge and freezer in service mode from 5 to 3. i don‘t know why but now it runs. Temperature setting 3/3 fridge has now 36F/2.5C freezer-5F/-20C when it shuts down the compressor. Running Time of the compressor after he starts again 27 minutes on an completely emty fridge/freezer.

flockman

Premium Member
Hi Jeff, do you think the running time of the compressor is good? It runs every 30mins, then shutt´s up for 30mins, so the compressor runs 12 hours a day, is that too long?