FIXED GD5RHAXNB00 Ice Maker dead

lykly

Premium Member
Model
GD5RHAXNB00
Brand
Whirlpool
I have a Whirlpool Gold Model # GD5RHAXNB00. The ice maker has stopped working. The Led on the right hand side (By the on off switch) bilnks twice, then pauses for one second, then blinks twice again. This goes on constantly. It does not matter if the switch is on or off, or if the spring loaded led blocker door on the left side is open or closed. The arms on the ice maker are straight up. It seems to make ice every now and then, but it basicall does not work. Can you provide me with the correct repair part / information? Thanks. By the way, this is a great site.
mark

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Mark,

If the ejector arm fingers are straight up that tells me your ice maker module is bad.

You can order the ice maker module kit OR the complete ice maker assembly which is more expensive, but less work to do(Just change it out) instead of taking the ice maker apart once you get it out of your freezer.

Here's the ice maker module kit for your model:
Whirlpool 8201515 Icemaker Motor Module

Whirlpool 2198597 Complete Icemaker Assembly (8 Cube)

If you want to go the cheaper route and just replace the ice maker module kit, here's the instructions:

1. Remove the bucket from the door to get some room.

2. Put a piece of tape on the sensor flapper to hold it down so you won't damage it while removing the ice maker.

3. Remove the ice maker service cover door by spreading the two hinge fingers apart away from the center and the door should lift out of the slot.

4. Remove the screw in the right rear bottom side of the ice maker.

5. After removing the screw that cover should lift up from the rear and just work it out from the rear and you see the electrical harness.

6. On the left track the should be a tab toward the bottom which you need to push up.

7. Push up tab and start working the ice maker towards you pulling it out of the track.

8. Careful with the electrical harness in the back as you're pulling out.

9. Disconnect the electrical plug by lifting the clip on the plug.

10. Remove the side cover on the side module by pulling off.

11. Remove the bottom shield by removing the 3 screws on the bottom.

12. Remove the 3 screws on the ice maker module, then the module off.

13. Remove the 2 screws that hold the head assembly onto the ice maker mold tray, then pull the ice maker head off the ice maker mold tray, then you can remove the ejector arm and stripper.

14. To install reverse the order as it came out.

Jake

lykly

Premium Member
Thanks Jake. I would like to ask your advice on which way to go. I am capable of following instructions and replacing parts only, but do you recommend changing the entire unit? I do not want to have to replace it later if now is the time. There is about $80 difference. But if I consider the ease advantage as well as an entire new unit, it may be worth it? Also, are the links provided the best place to buy parts? Lastly, the blinking lights are also a signal along with the arms being straight up pointing to this being the problem? Thanks again Jake.
mark

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, its best and easiest to change the complete ice maker assembly.

The links we provide are usually the best price found anywhere, also we have a special program we have with them, that if for any reason you don't want or need the part(installed or not installed) and return it within 30 days, you will receive a full refund, that includes electrical parts, no other appliance parts stores would even consider doing that.

Lastly, the blinking lights are also a signal along with the arms being straight up pointing to this being the problem?
Yes, Mark. If the ejector arm wasn't completely straight up and was at normal position(which is at the 2 o'clock to 3 o'clock position, then I would say the problem is your optics boards, as described here: FIXED Kenmore Whirlpool Ice Maker LED Blinking Codes

Jake

lykly

Premium Member
Jake,
After reading some of the posts from the thread you supplied, am I suppose to see the infared lights on both side of the freezer in addition to the blinking LED? The only light I see is the Blinking LED, nothing from the acutal infared on either side of the freezer. (Niether by the spring loaded door on the left or the right side by the on off switch is illuminated) I will order the entire unit as soon as I am sure I have explained properly. Of course I hold the obstructing door closed while checking so the infared can see across. Thanks again Jake.

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
No, just the LED light on the right side. Holding the flapper door closed on the left side, the LED on the right side is still blinking correct?

Jake

lykly

Premium Member
Yes sir, the ONLY light I see is the LED blinking twice with a one second interval, and the arms in the straight up position. This is regardless of the position of any other switches and or door flappers. I presume I am safe to order the parts.

UPDATE: It made more ice tonight.... one cyle. The LED is still the same and the arms maybe at the 1:00 position. Only ice in 2 days.

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, yes then you just need to order the ice maker assmbly, then you'll be good to go.:)

Jake

lykly

Premium Member
Jake,
Now the darn thing is making ice. When I close the obstruction door on the left, the LED stays solid and the arms are down out of sight with a new round of ice ready to dispense. Do you think it is just ready to go? It has not made any ice for 2 days, now working. Any other ideas or is it just a mtter of time. I just do not want to do the wrong repair. This is a real bummer.

lykly

Premium Member
OK, Lights are back to blinking, and the thing is froze up and stuck with the new ice looking unlevel and it is STUCK big time.... Lights back to blinking as it is stuck. I think the unit must be toast? Is this common?

UPDATE: I busted the ice out, now the light is solid. It seems to be freezing up and sticking. I am rellay confused now.

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Its definitely your ice maker assembly thats bad, it may start working for a little while, but will stop again.

Go ahead and order the ice maker assembly.:)

Jake

lykly

Premium Member
OK, things are settled down. All ice removed, the LED is blinking twice with a one second pause and arms are in the 2:00 position. I do not know what to think............. I guess wait till morning.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
lol, order the new ice maker assembly.:) I promise your problem will be solved.:)

Jake

lykly

Premium Member
It is ordered. Thanks Jake. I will let you know as soon as it is installed. And hopefully working.
Mark

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Sounds good Mark.:)

Jake

lykly

Premium Member
OK, Just finished (5 minutes) replacing the entire unit. Install went fine, just as explained and the parts looked identical. It has been in a few minutes and the LED is still blinking twice with one second intervals. Is this the norm? So far it has not did anything in the short time it has been installed. I did flip the switch to off postion while doing the install, but turned it back to on position and all is together. Let me know what to expect. Thanks.
mark

Last edited:

lykly

Premium Member
Been a couple hours, no ice, arms in the 2 oclock and LED doing the same..... 2 blinks and one second pause. Water has filled the right half (4 of 8 spaces) with water which is now ice, still not dispensed. The left half is dry. I hope I did not order the wrong part. What do you think?
mark

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
The water should fill all the 8 spaces in the ice maker tray, fill the 4 left and give it another hour to 90 minutes to see if it dumps the ice.

Just get a cup or spout and tap water and pour in the 4 left ones that are dry now.

Jake

lykly

Premium Member
Jake,
I did not have to fill the other spaces. After reading your response, I checked and all spots were now filled, and frozen. I do not know how long it was between, but the first 4 were filled and froze prior to the other 4 (on the left) to be filled and freeze. It has still not dispensed any ice at all. Arms still in 2 oclock spot and lights doing the same. 2 blinks and one second delay. Earlier, prior to any water dispensed, i removed the ice maker to be sure all connections were properly connected, and they were.
Mark

lykly

Premium Member
OK, No ice, no movement. There is ice in the maker, but none dispensed. LED the same. My old ice maker made some ice, this makes none. I guess I need to send this back. What is the remedy? I sure don't want to spend the $$ on something I do not need. If it was a few bucks I would keep it, but this cost 15% of the cost of the entire refridgerator. Any idea on what I need to repair this? Any chance they sent me a faulty maker? It seems strange the old one made some ice and the new one makes none?