FIXED GD5RHAXNB00 Ice Maker dead

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Be patient with it, some new ice makers take up to 48 hours to start making ice.

Its rare it would be a bad ice maker.

If after 48 hours and still no ice, its possibly your optics that are also just were working intermittently, and would need to be replaced, but you did need the new ice maker as the ejector arms weren't properly at the 2 o'clock position like they should of been, and are now with this new ice maker.

Don't know if you would want to spend the extra money to fix it, if you don't then you can send the ice maker back for a full refund.

Jake

lykly

Premium Member
Well I need an ice maked as my better half tells me so! As long as I needed the ice maker, nothing lost. I just do not want to keep it if I don't need it. Still no ice this AM, but it has not been 24 hrs. Ice is in the maker but the arms are still the same. What would be the next move and where do I look for costs?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

lykly

Premium Member
Thanks Jake. If no ice by tonight, I will order this part as well. It is of your opinion I need both components? (Ice maker and optics) Correct?
Mark

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Sounds good Mark,

Yes its likely you would need both the ice maker and optics, but you can try to use your old ice maker with the new optics, and see it works good, but when the way you said the ejector blades weren't pointing in the normal 2 o'clock position always tells me the ice maker itself is bad as well.

Jake

Whiskerfish

Premium Member
Would the replacement parts be the same for a GD5RHAXNQ00 ?? I see the model numbers are very close.

Mine gets used heavily and it recently quit working again. I pulled the unit out and defrosted it and cleared away any jams, it fills with water and freezes but there is not movement of the fingers after that. I am presuming I need a new unit?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
What postion are the ejector arm fingers pointing? Straight Up? Straight down in the tray? At you?

Normal would be pointing at you or slightly above you.

If so, do the optics test first.

Step#1: Open the freezer and view the status led

(STATUS LED)

2 BLINKS FOLLOWED BY 1 SEC. DELAY(REPEATED)

POSSIBLE CAUSES: The flapper door on the emitter is blocking the beam or the optics are faultly.

Step#2: Press the emitter flapper to unblock the optics beam

(STATUS LED)

2 BLINKS FOLLOWED BY 1 SEC. DELAY(REPEATED)

POSSIBLE CAUSES: The optics are faulty. Replace the emitter and receiver boards.

If the LED is on steady: The optics are working properly.

Here are the boards you can order, they come together in 1 kit with instructions:
W10757851 Ice Level Power Control Board Kit

If the optics are fine, then its your ice maker itself thats bad.

Here's the link to the new ice maker for your model you can order here:
Ice Maker Assembly 2198597

Jake

Whiskerfish

Premium Member
Yea when I close the little flapper door the lite comes on steady so I think that means it is working ok right?

The Fingers are pointed basically at the top of my head but from what I can tell they are not moving at all. There is no tension on them like they have tried to move. I can gently wiggle them about 3/4 of an inch up and down.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, your optics are fine, so that indicates your ice maker itself is bad.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Glad to help, keep us posted.

Jake

Denise Aucoin

Premium Member
model# GS5SHAXNL00 Ice maker stuck and not working.

model# GS5SHAXNL00 My ice maker is doing the same thing. The arms are down and the arms get frozen into the ice cubes and then it won't move. I poured hot water to melt the ice and free the arms and it tried to do the same thing. Then it just started working... for about 2 days I had ice as usual. Then, It wasn't working again. The arms are facing down and out of sight and I tried to get the arms to move, they wouldn't, so I flipped the switch to off and it has been off now for several months. I am now ready to either fix it or replace it. Not sure what to do... please help

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member

callyon

Premium Member
Ice Maker not dispensing

Yes, your optics are fine, so that indicates your ice maker itself is bad.

Jake
Hi - I'm having the same problem however I just purchased and replaced the ice maker (full thing) and now wish I noticed this particular post as I'm seeing that when I push in the arm on the left, it still blinks twice then pauses (with repeat). Does that mean that I need the optics and didn't need the icemaker itself? It's only been a few hours but it isn't filling with water. I just did fill it with a dropper to see if it would dispense but now in reading this I'm thinking it might be the optics instead ... uggh.

rickgburton

Staff member
Does that mean that I need the optics and didn't need the icemaker itself? It's only been a few hours but it isn't filling with water.
Yep, that's what it sounds like. I need your model number. That style ice maker starts slow then picks up after 24 hours.

rickgburton

Staff member
Open the freezer door and check the status LED. If you see 2 Blinks followed by a 1 second delay-repeated: Tape the emitter door back so it doesn’t block the beam between the emitter and receiver. If the LED is on steady: Optics is good. 2 Blinks followed by a 1 second delay: Bad optics Part# W10757851
W10757851 Ice Level Power Control Board Kit