• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

GD5RHAXSB01 Whirlpool ice maker leaking inside freezer

larthdog

Premium Member
Model Number
GD5RHAXSB01
Brand
Whirlpool
Have a Whirlpool side by side model GD5RHAXSB01.
Emptied the ice maker into cooler when left on vacation, returned 7 days later and ice bin was only half full. Found a couple cubes stuck in the maker that jambed up the fingers behind the ice maker door. Removed the ice and it started making ice again after a few hrs. About 1 week later I now find ice all over the interior walls and shelves, ice maker door and everything below. It looks like a sprinkler was turned on and all the drips froze.

With icemaker turned on, open door and get 2 flashes then 1 second of nothing. Then repeats.
When I push down the left side sensor flap (labeled ICE CONTROL) I get 1 long blink 3 seconds & 1 quick blink. Close door, open it And read blinks again it is on solid now?

What do all these codes mean? Possible problems...infrared control boards, water inlet valve? Need some direction please.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
You may have two separate problems so let's start with the water leaking. It sounds like a water valve issue. It's common over time the water valve diaphragm wears out and a small amount of water gets past and drips into the ice maker. It may only be a drop or two every minute or so and may not actually drip into the ice maker but that's enough to cause a problem. It freezes in the end of the fill tube and starts to build up so when the ice maker goes into the harvest and fill cycle, it's like putting your thumb over the end of a water hose and water sprays everywhere. Look in the end of the fill tube for any ice. If there's ice, replace the water valve.
W10408179 Water Inlet Valve
whirlpool-water-inlet-valve-w10408179-ap5263471_01_m.jpg

To check the optics, first make sure the lense is clean on the receiver and the flapper door is not loose. Open the freezer door and check the status LED. If you see 2 Blinks followed by a 1 second delay-repeated: Tape or hold the emitter door back so it doesn’t block the beam between the emitter and receiver. If the LED is on steady: Optics is good. 2 Blinks followed by a 1 second delay: Bad optics W10757851 Ice Level Power Control Board Kit

larthdog

Premium Member
I emptied unit and unplugged for 24 hrs to allow all ice to thaw, wherever it may have been. When plugged back in I tested the optics. Get 2 blinks w/1 sec delay. Hold the emitter door closed, still 2 blinks w1 sec delay. Does it need to be certain temperature, like cold enough to actually make ice, or does it not matter?

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Temperature doesn't matter so you'll need to replace the optics or bypass the optics. If you bypass the optics there's no off switch. The ice maker will make ice even if the ice bucket is full.