GD5SHAXLT01 Whirlpool Refrigerator Drain

Al graham

Premium Member
Model Number
GD5SHAXLT01
Brand
Whirlpool
The freezer drain plugged and water drained into the freezer. I removed the drain tube from a large rubber grommet. It appears the grommet is a duckbill type thing. It is so brittle from age that I am unable to remove it to try to clean. I’m sure it’s shot. How can I remove it in order to replace it? I’ve removed the fan for access but plan to replace it so I can run the fridge until I get the grommet. Again, my questions are1) how do I remove the grommet, and 2) do you carry this grommet?

Thanks,
Al

Al graham

Premium Member
I just looked at the parts list and it appears the drain tube is one part, but the tube which is white but pretty brittle came out of the black rubber grommet, so I have no idea what part I need.

al

Al graham

Premium Member
Thanks Jake. I agree. The problem, however, is the black rubber grommet into which this tube feeds is brittle and cracked. I think that needs to be replaced also, but I don’t see that part listed. When I look at it from below with a mirror (no small feat) the rubber grommet appears clogged and busted up. I probably did that removing the tube. How do I proceed?

Al graham

Premium Member
Thanks! I guess I can carefully use needle nose pliers to extract the broken up one. I hope there are instructions w the new one. My luck I’ll install the new one upside down.
Will order today.

Thanks,

al

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
When you click the link to that grommet, there is a Question & Answer section and they explain how to replace it to those other folks that asked.:)

Jake

Al graham

Premium Member
I looked at the questions relative to how to replace the rubber grommet. Here was one reply, but none of the questions were for my model.

“Louis, thanks for the question, you will need to access the drain line from the back of the unit as well as the inside of the freezer. The old plug will need to be dug out from underneath. You will need to remove the tube that connects to the rubber plug and remove the drain fitting. Installation of the new plug will be in the reverse order. This is not an easy job.”

How do I access the drain line from inside the freezer? I already see this is not an easy job, but I must finish what I’ve started. Seems to me that the grommet must be replaced from above since the top of the grommet is wider by far than the lower part. Problem is I don’t know how to access this drain from a point where I can install from above.

Thanks for hanging in with me. I will get this done.