• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

GDF520PGJ2WW dishwasher light comes on by itself and now no lights come on

pbhardshell59

Premium Member
Model Number
GDF520PGJ2WW
Brand
GE
it was installed about 2 years ago. rarely used. however out of the blue, without using the dishwasher a light started coming on and you would hear a sound. then the light will go back off a few minutes later. If you wanted to use it , then it would work. It isn't used very often. When the issue started of no lights coming on, I turned off breaker ( it is hardwired) and checked the junction box for power. when I turned the breaker back on the light is on .

Nephew used it one time and then didn't try to use for weeks. No warning you would hear the sound and that light was on . No one touched the dishwasher. It goes weeks without using . But when this light started coming on by itself and making one sound, it may do that on and off over a period of time.

He is gone to work a lot. I went over to the trailer and opened the door on the dishwasher to put in some dirty cups from the sink and closed it but no light came on. When this happens no buttons will power up. I only pushed one button at a time but no lights. I turned the breaker off and back on but no light.

What should I do to trouble shoot? Read some of the other posts but not sure if I have the same issue.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

That indicates the UI Board is the culprit when it does random things when the dishwasher is NOT IN USE and no one is near it.:)

Here's the UI(user interface) Board for your model:

When you click the UI Board part link you will see a video of how to replace it.

"NOTE--->When replacing UI control boards, the new UI Board MUST be configured as per the instructions included with the replacement. If the personality is not set by using the 4 jumpers, the buttons, LED’s or cycles will not function properly".

Let us know how it goes.

pbhardshell59

Premium Member
they can go out on a dishwasher that new? he barely used it literally over the time it has been installed. I honestly would guess 6X. So no reason to check the wiring to see if it is loose on installation? All I know is i removed kickplate after I pulled out slightly to access the junction box. I touched the wiring with a tester that showed it had juice and i pushed back under.

I retripped breaker and come in there and the green light is on. then it started the light coming on without being touched several times and now it is DOA again. I will definitely check into the cost. It just confused me that it would do that on one that was used so rarely. I bought on clearance at work. was display.

I am guessing how long installed may be less than 2 years. I just knew he rarely ran it . GE isn't my pick of the litter LOL. I would have installed an Amana if this hadn't been marked down so low. I will research the replacement video. Thanks so much and will let you know once I am able to do the job.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
they can go out on a dishwasher that new? he barely used it literally over the time it has been installed. I honestly would guess 6X. So no reason to check the wiring to see if it is loose on installation? All I know is i removed kickplate after I pulled out slightly to access the junction box. I touched the wiring with a tester that showed it had juice and i pushed back under.

I retripped breaker and come in there and the green light is on. then it started the light coming on without being touched several times and now it is DOA again. I will definitely check into the cost. It just confused me that it would do that on one that was used so rarely. I bought on clearance at work. was display.

I am guessing how long installed may be less than 2 years. I just knew he rarely ran it . GE isn't my pick of the litter LOL. I would have installed an Amana if this hadn't been marked down so low. I will research the replacement video. Thanks so much and will let you know once I am able to do the job.
Yes, they can even that new. To verify that, read what I mentioned here:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Until it is replaced should it be d/c from the power source? right now is hardwired.
Yes, that's fine.

Also, check ALL your electrical connections to the machine and at the door harness from the machine control board underneath the dishwasher to the UI Board at the top of the door.

Here's the door wire harness for your model: WD21X22596

Last edited:

pbhardshell59

Premium Member
I may not have explained the situation well enough. want to make sure covered all bases. the light comes on and makes the sound is the same as when you turn power off to it and back on. I did turn off breaker crawled under and messed with the connector that you can see feeding to the door. I tried to unplug and plug back but not sure how to remove so I pushed on it. I came back after tripping the breaker and green light was on. I ran a cycle. beginning to wonder if loose connection. I didn't have my socket to remove the cover and wonder if a wire isn't making good connection in the hookup.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Double check all your electrical connections, a STEADY ON STATUS LED on the machine control board(underneath the dishwasher) usually means the UI Board is the culprit and also like I mentioned above--->That ALSO indicates the UI Board is the culprit when it does random things when the dishwasher is NOT IN USE and no one is near it.

pbhardshell59

Premium Member
I read on earlier post. So remove the screws so i can lower the control board and turn power back on . will there either be no lights on which means boards are good or the one light that indicates issue.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Lets first--->Check the machine control board STATUS LED (its located underneath the front on the dishwasher). Tell us how many times its flashing in a row, or if its STEADY ON or STEADY OFF.

Here's the machine control board(under the dishwasher) for your model: WD21X24900C

To view the STATUS LED, remove the lower access panel of your dishwasher. You DO NOT have remove the control board from its metal casing when you view the STATUS LED.

GE control 3.jpg

When you have that panel lowered down turn the breaker back ON to your dishwasher. When viewing it leave all the electrical connectors to it plugged in.

D-GE control board status led.jpg

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Just the lower access panel.

This video gives you the general idea of how to lower the access panel to view the STATUS LED on it, you don't need to remove it from its casing and keep all the electrical connectors connected to it when viewing the STATUS LED on it.

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.