• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED GDF520PGJ2WW GE Dishwasher diagnostics say door is open but latch is good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcs0531

Model Number
GDF520PGJ
Brand
GE
Dishwasher will not start, 3 beeps and blinking start light. It is approx 3 years old. Door status check shows door is open, all LED’s flashing. Replacing door latch did not fix the problem. Any ideas on what else to check before replacing control board?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Try a hard reset first: Press and Hold the START and WASH TEMP pads for 5 seconds. Close the door and wait 3 minutes.

Let us know how it goes.

If that does not resolve it, then look on page 57 here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=140Kbh3jsVCcr-y2MU82JBgMhWdCrKgky and see how many times the Service LED is flashing in a row.

To view the STATUS LED, remove the lower access panel of your dishwasher.

--->Here's the main control board for your model:
Here's the video that shows you how to remove the cover to access the Service LED on it: Main control board access video

Jake

DCTannerJr

I had the same issue. Was afraid I had bought a bad part; however I unplugged the dishwasher a couple times and let it sit for a few minutes and then the latch started working. Almost like it wasn't accepting/reading the new latch until I did. Anyways, that might help.
I do have a follow up question though: Over the last 4-6 weeks, I've gone through 2 door latches. Chances are highly unlikely that I got 2 bad parts. However, each door latch should certainly be lasting longer than that. Everything else on the dishwasher seems to be working fine . . . at least in that when the door latch was working, everything was working perfectly. Any suggestions here? Despite everything else working, could it be a wire harness issue = burning out the door latch??? I've determined to buy one more latch and then start shopping for a new dishwasher . . . so any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That's a good question DCTannerJr, seems lots of folks are having problems with that door latch assembly.

I don't know the cause, but hopefully GE will send out a service bulletin to fix it permanently.

These GE dishwashers have been having multiple problems besides the door latch assembly, I'd stay far away from GE for your next dishwasher. GE appliances have been bought out by a Chinese company called Haier, and its been downhill from that point forward.

Jake

krematt

Premium Member
I had the same issue. Was afraid I had bought a bad part; however I unplugged the dishwasher a couple times and let it sit for a few minutes and then the latch started working. Almost like it wasn't accepting/reading the new latch until I did. Anyways, that might help.
I do have a follow up question though: Over the last 4-6 weeks, I've gone through 2 door latches. Chances are highly unlikely that I got 2 bad parts. However, each door latch should certainly be lasting longer than that. Everything else on the dishwasher seems to be working fine . . . at least in that when the door latch was working, everything was working perfectly. Any suggestions here? Despite everything else working, could it be a wire harness issue = burning out the door latch??? I've determined to buy one more latch and then start shopping for a new dishwasher . . . so any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
DCTannerJr or Jake,

Has this been resolved by anyone? I'm having a similar issue. I replaced my door latch about 1 month ago and probably only ran my dishwasher 2-3 times since replacing it. I went to run it again and noticed again the latch didn't seem to be working. I ordered a new latch again, installed it new out of the box and the door is still not being recognized as closed. Did you end up having to replace the control board?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

We need the complete model number of your dishwasher first. The model number tag is located inside the door on the tub frame.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Your missing a digit, take a photo of the model number tag with your phone if you are having difficulty reading it.:)

Here's the results I get:
GDF610PMJ0ES
GDF610PMJ2ES
GDF610PMJ4ES
GDF610PMJ5ES
GDF610PMJ6ES

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Perfect, thanks!

Now let's check your main control board STATUS LED, Tell us how many times its flashing in a row.

To view the STATUS LED, remove the lower access panel of your dishwasher. You DO NOT have remove the control board from its metal casing when you view the STATUS LED.

--->Here's the main control board for your model: WD21X24900

Here's the video that show you how to remove the cover to access the STATUS LED on it:

When viewing it leave all the electrical connectors to it plugged in.

D-GE control board status led.jpg

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok,

If the STATUS LED is STEADY OFF, that indicates your control board is the cause of this problem.

--->Here's the control board for your model you can order: WD21X24900

Let us know how it goes.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good.:)

Jake

krematt

Premium Member
I replaced the control board last night and was able to get the dishwasher to run a cycle last night. Just as an FYI, I kept the "old" door latch on the unit instead of the new one i purchased. So the only problem was the control board. Thanks for the help.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, glad to hear the new control board fixed it. (y)

Thanks for the update!

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.