• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

GDF520PGJ4WW GE Dishwasher won't start wash cycle

nightshade427

Premium Member
Model Number
GDF520PGJ4WW
Brand
GE
Close door.

Select normal cycle, push start, beeps three times, flashes start led until I press and hold and cancel the cycle.

Ensured I'm not in demo mode.

If I enter diagnostic mode (press start+cycle) all lights flash for 10 seconds and then all lights turn off and lock light turns on solid. Indicating door is not closed.

If I enter test mode from diagnostic mode (press and hold cycle) and try and run any tests the lights just flash. Indicating door is not close.

My door is closed and tested latch switch pins 3-4 & 3-5 on main board, when door is open there is no continuity, when door is closed there is continuity. So door switch seems to be working.

If I look at main board service led its solid green with all connections in place and washer ready to use.

Any ideas what to check next?

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

If I look at main board service led its solid green with all connections in place and washer ready to use.
Is the door wire harness connected to the control board when you are viewing that STATUS LED on the control board?

If so, Control Board STATUS LED Steady ON: UI personality not set, communications lost between UI(User Interface) and MC(Machine Control Board).

The UI operational voltage is output from the main control board on connector J722 pin 2 black/green to pin 5 yellow/blue. If 13.5 Volts DC is found here, then replace the UI Board.

--->Here's the UI(user interface) Board for your model you can order: WD21X23703 User Control and Display Board

Snapshot_2 (1).jpg

Let us know what you find.

Jake

nightshade427

Premium Member
Ya, door wire harness was connected at time of service led check.

If UI board was failing I wouldn't think I would be able to enter diagnostic mode would I? If there was communication issue between UI and MC board wouldn't the start led light up when in diagnostic error mode?

But, I can enter diagnostic mode and all led turn off after flashing for 10 seconds (except lock light, which is solid)

I'm new DIY repair/diagnostics, not at to facilitate with it all.

Will check voltage and report back, thanks.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Per the tech data sheet it says--->Control Board STATUS LED STEADY ON: UI personality not set, communications lost between UI(User Interface) and MC(Machine Control Board).

Yes, check for 13.5 Volts DC and keep us posted.

Jake

nightshade427

Premium Member
Unplugged the machine for 2hr, restarted machine, now the diagnostic correctly detected door closed and shows start light lite up indicating UI board communication issue.

So I took board out and cleaned it really well with alcohol (there was evidence of moisture exposure), hooked it all back and now works.

Thanks again for all the help.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Sounds good, if it happens again, let us know.:)

Jake