• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

GDF530PSM0SS GE Dishwasher - All lights flashing with LED showing 888

fallenicarus

Premium Member
Model Number
GDF530PSM0SS
Brand
GE
The dishwasher started and randomly had all flashing lights on the control and the LCD screen was showing "888" (similar to what is seen on this link:

I tried to get the dishwasher into Consumer Error mode and run the different Control Programs in the service mode.
On entering consumer error mode - the LOCK LED is on.
When I press the "SELECT CYCLE" for 5 seconds - I see Normal blink once. But at that point, whether I hit START or not - the unit goes back to flashing LEDs. No matter what cycle I get into (if the lights dont start flashing) - it always ends with LED lights flashing

From the previous cycle, there was still some water left on the bottom - and when I turn the power off and then back on - I can hear some clicking sound about 3 times -> this is on the bottom right of the dishwasher and sounds like something is trying to get "toggled" but isnt. Not sure if thats the problem?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Your model is a little different.

Here's the machine control board for your model: WD21X25732

Get into Consumer Error Mode and let us know what happens. Let it run through the Door Check, then let us know if you get any error code per the LED's listed on the chart below. When it runs through the Door Check close the door and see if the LED's stay SOLID.

Screenshot 2021-06-04 13.09.27.png

Jake

fallenicarus

Premium Member
Ok - All LEDs are solidly illuminated -> door is detected as closed. When I open the door - LED starts flashing.
The LOCK led is illuminated after the door test is done.
When I enter the CSM mode - I see a 6 on the LCD screen.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
When I enter the CSM mode - I see a 6 on the LCD screen.
6? It doesn't mention 6 in the CSM mode, so I don't know what to make of that.

When you enter CSM it does the DOOR CHECK first, since it did that, then you entered CSM fine, then it should of illuminated any LED's if it sensed a fault code, then CSM times out in 5 minutes.

Its best to get GE to come out at 1-800-432-2737 to see what's going on. It may or may not be the control board, but I'd hate to guess and waste your money if the new control board does not fix it.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
It doesn't have to be in warranty for GE to come out.

GE techs have a special computer tool that plugs into the Ethernet port on the machine control board, and they are better than Sears, which does not have that tool at diagnosing the problem.

Its better to wait 3-4 days for GE.

Jake

Robert4

Premium Member
GE techs have a special computer tool that plugs into the Ethernet port on the machine control board
Are all GE techs supposed to have that computer? My next door neighbor had a problem with his GE dishwasher just two weeks ago, and GE sent two techs in two trucks to his house. I thought it was strange, so I asked about it. His dishwasher had no lights coming on. They spent a couple of hours there, and neither of them had a definitive answer as to what caused the problem. He said they pretty much assumed that the two boards should be changed, but it would cost almost as much as what he paid for it in the first place.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Look here:
GE Tech visited and hooked up his Diagnostic computer to the RJ port of the Main Control Board. A few seconds later, it indicated that there was a personality/configuration mismatch on one of the boards (he didn't say witch) with my dishwasher model and he simply allowed his computer to change a setting to "11". Note, these are the original boards and not the new ones I bought so I will return the Main and UI boards.

I came way with a $200 charge and a bit frustrated that model configuration settings appear to no longer be available with Jumpers or DIP Switch settings on the boards. Also, how did the configuration setting get altered anyways - seems a little fishy, but my best guess would be a power surge that affected FLASH memory.

In summary, only a Tech with the necessary RJ Diag port adapter and computer could properly set configuration on my boards. My guess is the new UI board I ordered would have also needed the Tech to set it up correctly as it wasn't working either.

Jake

Robert4

Premium Member
I actually showed my neighbor that thread this morning, and he said they didn't hook up a computer to the dishwasher. That's why I asked. Strange.

Is that problem described there common? It sounds odd that the original control board that's only a couple of years old would need to be reconfigured to work again.

You weren't kidding when you said that newer GE dishwashers have a lot of issues since a Chinese company bought the appliance division of GE. I can't believe how many different member here have had issues with them in just the last two weeks!

Thanks, Jake!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Is that problem described there common? It sounds odd that the original control board that's only a couple of years old would need to be reconfigured to work again.
No, not for that particular problem, first time I'm seen someone mention that.

Jake

fallenicarus

Premium Member
So just to update - the tech didnt actually come today and will now come Monday. But on a hunch I ran the machine on a short cycle (48mins) - and it ran! No weird clicking sound (what I called toggling in my post), no flashing lights. Really weird. Now I am not sure how to show the problem to the service guy - its running ok.
What a weird weekend.

Robert4

Premium Member
These new GE dishwashers just don't make any sense to me. Before you did the short cycle, was the dishwasher stopping in the middle of a load and that's when all the lights flashed, as it would if you opened the door?

Do the other cycles work too now?

fallenicarus

Premium Member
Yes - it would try to restart the precious cycle. Today also it started at the same point but like I said no clicking or toggling sounds.

Will try my standard cycle now. Maybe that causes it again.