• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

GDF540HGD0WW Turns Off and On Mid Cycle, Now no Power

APopalis

Premium Member
Model Number
GDF540HGD0WW
Brand
GE
Hello, yesterday our GE washer had no power (the controls were not functioning, no lights on control panel, no sounds opening and closing door, no lights under machine with access panel removed). The breaker was not tripped and was turned off and on without change in machine.

This morning, opened door and machine came to life (access panel had been left open all night). Started a cycle and it worked for a while, then started to appear to lose power, then turn back on, continue cycle, then lose power about six times.

While this was occurring, a green light was on at the pump (?) connector while running, then a click was heard and the light would go out, including control panel lights, then another click and lights would come back on, machine would continue cycle for a few seconds, click, lights off. Finally, it clicked, shut off again, and did not restart.

Upon opening door, soapy water was still at the bottom of tub and dishwasher has not responded for a while.

Filters have not been cleaned in years.

What could be wrong?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Use a multimeter and measure the voltage at the junction box. Make sure the ground wire is connected. If your meter indicates 120 Volts AC, open the control board cover and check the STATUS LED on the control board. See if the STATUS LED is blinking, or STEADY ON or STEADY OFF. If the LED is STEADY OFF and you have 120 volts at the machine control board(where it says 120 VAC SUPPLY), then the control board is the culprit, order and replace the machine control board.

D-GE control board status led.jpg

Here's the machine control board for your model:
Control Board WD21X22276

When you click the part link to the machine control board, you will see the video that shows you how to remove the cover to access the machine control board.

Let us know what you find.

Jake

APopalis

Premium Member
Oh, and just to add: it has been turning off and on all morning periodically, but never enough to move through cycle.

APopalis

Premium Member
One more update, it seems to have moved past that phase of the cycle finally and is now operating as usual. If it is operating at the end of the cycle (control panel lights on), should I still perform the diagnostics?

APopalis

Premium Member
Please refer to previous updates, after the cycle completed, I poured water off dishes and lid was open as I rolled the lower tray onto the lid, I believe I heard the control panel beep several times. Upon closing lid, lights soon went out on control panel and it is now unresponsive.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Blinking how many times in 3 seconds?

Jake

APopalis

Premium Member
It is blinking about 6 times in 3 seconds. Also, I have left the door cracked and the controls have spontaneously come to life occasionally (once was for about 2 seconds, another time was until I moved the lid, another time was for about 10 seconds). When it was on for 10 seconds, I looked at the control panel LED and it was still blinking, but more slowly. When the controls cut out again, it resumed this faster blinking with the rate stated at the top.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
6x every 3 seconds--->Control is in demo mode. Press Heated Dry and Start for 5 seconds to exit.

Jake

APopalis

Premium Member
Thank you Jake, gave that a try to no avail. The power to the buttons came off and on randomly for brief moments yesterday and has now remained off for over 12 hours (as far as I know).

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, then I'd replace the machine control board.

Jake

APopalis

Premium Member
Hi Jake, does this change anything: came home after full day and the lid had been closed all day. Opened it and voila, it is working again with control board showing 1 flash per 3 seconds. Any chance this is a connection issue in the door or something causing an intermittent problem?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Check the door wiring for a short in it, or a loose connection from the machine control board to the UI Board.

Here's the door wire harness for your model:

Here's the service manual for your model: https://drive.google.com/file/d/140Kbh3jsVCcr-y2MU82JBgMhWdCrKgky/view?usp=sharing

Page 40--->To Remove the Door
Page 45--->Separately the Door
Page 46--->Front Control Console Removal
Page 47--->Front Control Components

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Your welcome, let us know what you find.

Jake