• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED GDF620HMJ0ES Likely electrical problem - what have I fried?

pointyteeth

Premium Member
Model Number
GDF620HMJ0ES
Brand
GE
I have a fairly new dishwasher that recently stopped working.
It seemed to stop after plugging in a battery charger into an outlet above the dishwasher, but I now think that must have just been a timing coincidence.
No breakers had flipped.

The dishwasher is hardwired to an appropriate 20A 120V circuit that isn't shared with any outlets, appliances or anything else.
The lights on the door of the machine don't light up and it makes no sounds (mechanical or electrical...or watery).
I used a "no touch" electrical tester and power is being distributed around the machine (including to the door switch). That has been the limits of my testing.

I trained as an electrical engineer in the UK over 20 years ago (I built receivers for weather satellites, but trained with British Telecom engineers!).
I'm a bit rusty though (I changed to the medical field), and now live in America where the rules, regulations regarding how things are installed and how appliances are made etc are different.

I wondered if a wire had become loose or something so I pulled the machine out, and looked underneath.
Everything appeared to be intact as far as I can tell (although there are a few empty sockets on the washer for what I assume to be diagnostic testing equipment).

As I vacuumed out the area where the dishwasher sits I noticed a sooty black mark on the copper water pipe. At the back of the dishwasher there are two crimped connectors attached to two terminals spaced at least a foot apart (I'm writing this away from home and cant check).
One connects a red and white striped wire and the other wire I can't remember the color of. The red and white one is the one I'm concerned about. The connectors have rubber sleeves over them, but one seems to have had a small hole gouged out of it. I don't see anything obvious that could have done that. Despite my measurements and care while sliding the dishwasher in I think that the wire and my copper water pipe must have somehow come into contact with each other. It looks like an unlikely occurrence when I shine a flashlight under the dishwasher and check for issues when it's in place. However, after checking in my basement, the pipe has some up and down wiggle room that I did not notice before.

So I think this is the cause of my dead dishwasher. I'm just wondering if there's anything I switches, fuses or anything else on the unit I should check or replace before admitting defeat.

Last edited:

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Use a multimeter and measure the voltage at the junction box. Make sure the ground wire is connected. If your meter indicates 115 VAC, open the control board and check the LED on the control board. If the LED is blinking, count the number of blinks between pauses.

If the LED is not lit replace the control board:
GE WD21X21916 Machine Control

pointyteeth

Premium Member
Thanks. I'll look into it. I may well have the model number incorrect as I simply went to the Home Depot website and looked for a machine that looked like mine - I think control board replacement might be likely, but I'll have to double check my part numbers.

pointyteeth

Premium Member
Hey. Just now getting around to this (I won't explain - family stuff).
Anyway, I opened up the front panel and loosened the control board "holder".
I turned the power back on and I have a green flashing LED that flashes 7 times before the pause.
I can't find a service manual or anything that tells me what this means.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
7 Times flashing: Current Sense Module is tripped. See the CSM section of this guide I'm attaching below.

Attachments

• 31-9244 GE 2015 Plastic Tub Dishwasher Service Manual.pdf
    5.5 MB · Views: 191