• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED GDF620HMJ2ES GE Dishwasher Beeps and won't start washing when I push start

sjdafhsdljhf

Premium Member
Model Number
GDF620HMJ2ES
Brand
GE
Hello fellow dishwasher enthusiasts. I come in hopes of receiving help. When I push the start button the machine makes three chimes (ding-dong, ding-dong, ding-dong) and the start light blinks. So far, I've tried shutting off the power at the circuit breaker for 10 minutes (twice) and I've checked to make sure there's nothing blocking the door from closing all the way.

I even RTFM for the machine and could not find anything that mentioned three chimes. One other thing is that when I close the door, the control panel no longer lights up as it used to. My best guess is that the machine is not recognizing that the door is closing.

My request is two-fold: 1) Can someone knowledgeable please attempt to validate my suspicions or offer alternative theories. And 2) can you please advise on additional steps to take to solve this most frustrating of problems. Thank you in advance for all of your help.

Sincerely, sjdafhsdljhf

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

--->Check your main control board STATUS LED, Tell us how many times its flashing in a row, or if its STEADY ON or STEADY OFF.

--->Here's the main control board for your model: WD21X24900

GE control 2 (1).jpg

Restore Power, then make sure the door harness connector is attached to the bottom of the control board casing connector when you view the STATUS LED light, Also make sure the 120 volt connector to it in the front is still attached to it also.

D-GE control board status led.jpg

Jake

sjdafhsdljhf

Premium Member
How do I remove the J box? I see a couple screws, but I'm not entirely sure they're the right ones and they're tucked into a little box that seems to make it impossible to turn them with the tool I have. Even if it reached back that far, which it doesn't, there's not enough space around the heads of the screws to get a grip on them.

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Watch this video below, it gives you the general idea of how to drop it down to view the STATUS LED on the control board:

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, the STATUS LED is STEADY OFF? If so, and your are getting 120 volts to the main control board, then your main control board is bad.

--->Here's the main control board for your model you can order: WD21X24900

Let us know how it goes.

Jake

sjdafhsdljhf

Premium Member
I'm not seeing any lights at all in there regardless of what buttons I press on the machine. I'm not sure I see the unlit status LED or maybe I don't know what I'm looking for, but I'm looking at the spot on the board that corresponds to that diagram you posted and I don't see any light.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Take a photo of your control board with your iphone or android and upload it here.

Jake

sjdafhsdljhf

Premium Member
Right, so I had a chance finally to take a photo of the board with my smartphone in hand and I discovered upon taking everything apart again that now the light is blinking once and the dishwasher appears to be working properly again. I'm not sure what I did. It's possible I reattached a power cable for the circuit board that had been loose but nothing seemed to be out of place when I took it apart, so it's really a mystery to me. In any case, things seem to be fine for the time being. Thanks for the troubleshooting help! Hopefully I won't need to return.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good!

Thanks for letting us know!

Jake