• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED GDF620HMJ2ES GE Dishwasher does not start

Status
Not open for further replies.

jayman06

Premium Member
Model Number
GDF620HMJ2ES
Brand
GE
Hello,

I have read a few posts regarding an issue where GE dishwashers where the start button flashes and beeps three times and it does not start. Here is what I have done so far:

1) Turned off the circuit breaker, wait 30 seconds, and turn back on. It started to work again, then stopped after two weeks.

2) While door is closed, I held down the "select cycle" and "start" buttons for 5 seconds. In error more, the lights were blinking, meaning that the door was detected as open. After the flashing is all done, only the "lock" button is left on, indicating no other issues were detected. Per another thread, I learned that there was a high chance that the door latch was defective. I purchased a new latch WD21X10490 and replaced it, but nothing has changed.

I would greatly appreciate assistance with this issue. Thanks!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

--->Check your main control board STATUS LED, Tell us how many times its FLASHING in a row, or if its STEADY ON or STEADY OFF.

--->Here's the main control board for your model: WD21X24900

GE control 3.jpg

Restore Power, then make sure the door harness connector is attached to the bottom of the control board casing connector when you view the STATUS LED light, Also make sure the 120 volt connector to it in the front is still attached to it also.

D-GE control board status led.jpg

Jake

jayman06

Premium Member
Hi Jake,

I accessed the main control board and restored power, however I don't see a flashing status light. The washer does have power, because the from of the washer lights up just fine. I checked and the connections and they all seem fine as well...

Attachments

• 16027900910655043753647618206804.jpg
    16027900910655043753647618206804.jpg
    326 KB · Views: 26

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Jay,

That means its STEADY OFF, so you will need to replace the main control board.

--->Here's the main control board for your model you can order: WD21X24900

Let us know how it goes.

Jake

jayman06

Premium Member
I will order the main control board soon. Would the main control board cause the control panel to indicate that the door is open in error mode, when it's actually closed?

I am wondering if it's a good idea to return the new latch I purchased.

thanks Jake!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Would the main control board cause the control panel to indicate that the door is open in error mode, when it's actually closed?
Yes, it would.

But just hold on to the new door latch switch until you install the new control board just to make sure.

OR you CAN ohm test the door latch switch to determine if its bad.

Follow the directions here:
LatchSwitch.png

Door closed: 0 ohms.
Door open: infinite ohms.

Let us know what you find. Make sure you disconnect power to the dishwasher before ohm testing.

Jake

jayman06

Premium Member
I don't have a multimeter but will hold onto the new latch until I replace the main control board. Thanks!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Jay, sounds good.

Keep us posted.

Jake

jayman06

Premium Member
I received the replacement main control board and changed out the old one. It now detects the door closed and starts up just fine. I will try seeing if the seller will take the latch as a return before trying to see if it too was an issue.

Is there any maintenance or other action that can help prevent these types of issues? I prefer prevention instead of medication.

Thanks so much for your helpful guidance!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent Jay, glad to hear the new main control board fixed it.(y)

Is there any maintenance or other action that can help prevent these types of issues?
Nope, just do what it says per your owner's manual for maintenance.

GE has had many issues with these boards, your not the first to have this problem, and you certainly won't be the last.

The good news is GE updates the new boards to make them last much longer.

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.