• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

GDP665SYN0FS GE Dishwasher not draining properly

dougmck

Premium Member
Model Number
GDP665SYN0FS
Brand
GE
Greetings experts!
Our dishwasher isn't draining correctly. The filters are clear, the drain pipe is not blocked. I have it temporarily hooked up in the driveway for diagnosis and I can see that *sometimes* it will drain, but it does not seem to want to drain at the end of the cycle. When it does drain, the flow is really good.

Is this more likely to be a problem with the control board, or the drain pump motor, or something else?

Any insights are appreciated.
Regards
Doug

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Doug,

I'd first check your voltage with a multimeter at the drain pump electrical terminal wires, it should be 120 volts at the drain pump when its in the drain cycle. If you get 120 volts and the drain pump isn't running, then its bad.

Here's the drain pump for your model:

If you don't get 120 volts when it should be draining, then the machine control board is the culprit.

Here's the machine control board for your model: WD21X25992

Let us know what you find.

Jake

dougmck

Premium Member
Hi Jake,
Thanks for the reply. Is there a way to force the drain pump to (try to) operate? I have tried to let the machine run for a bit, then use the cancel function by holding down the start button, but I am not sure if that always *forces* the machine to drain, or whether it only causes it to drain under certain circumstances.
Regards
Doug

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, in Service Mode, follow this chart below, LED blink #1 turns the drain pump on for 75 seconds.

Screenshot 2021-04-30 11.56.18.png

dougmck

Premium Member
Thanks, that's very helpful information!
The pump makes a noise, but can't drain the tub, unless I lay the discharge hose down along the ground. Once I do that, the tub will drain with a pretty decent flow. I removed the motor and impeller from the pump body, and the impeller seems fine.
It seems the pump may be weak? Is that a possible way for it to fail?
Regards
Doug

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Doug, did you test for 120 volts going to the drain pump with a multimeter like I mentioned in post #2?

The only way to really be 100% certain is get a multimeter and see if your getting the proper voltage to it.:)

Multimeters are very easy to use.

Jake

dougmck

Premium Member
I haven't yet, but will do. I stopped experimenting with I was getting excessively chewed by mosquitoes (in my driveway)!

dougmck

Premium Member
Yes, there's 110 V (ac) at the pump. It draws about 200mA as it makes noise but fails to pump out the tub.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Doug, then that indicates you will need to order and replace the drain pump, I posted the link to it in post #2 above.

Let us know how it goes.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Doug, sounds good.

Jake

dougmck

Premium Member
Well, unfortunately, the new pump changed nothing. Is there some valve, or something that might be making it slow for the pump to prime? It sounds like it is pumping frothy water until I lower the hose and then it seems to prime and operate ok. I think the next step will be to take everything apart down there.
I have no reason to suspect the control board is bad. It seems to do everything ok.
doug

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Doug, you do have a check valve its number 425 here:
(click to enlarge)
GDP665CKVALVE.jpg

Number 325 is the drain pump. See if that check valve is stuck.

Jake

dougmck

Premium Member
Yes, that valve is something I've already pulled out and looked at. There seems to be nothing obstructing it. It's possible to see either side of it from the pump housing and the tub. I see no problems with it, and it's just a simple rubber flap.
Still, the machine isn't draining properly. It's weird. The thing is very simple. I even ran it with the valve removed and it actually drained not too badly, removing the water from the tub and only leaving the filter about half full.
I'm really not seeing what's wrong here...
doug

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Doug, I don't know what else it could be, you will probably need to have GE come out at 1-800-432-2737 and see what's going on.

Jake