Status
Not open for further replies.

Alvie463

Premium Member
Model Number
GDT545PSJ
Brand
GE
I have a ge dishwasher that had a control board failure which I replaced. After replacement the dishwasher worked great for about 2 weeks. Loaded the washer last night and went to start it and the unit is dead again. Pulled the board out and can’t find any sign of “fire” but it does smell like electrical fire/burnt plastic.

Before first failure the unit was working great since we bought it a little over a year ago. Unit is wired to an existing plug under the sink and I have checked the outlet and there are no issues there.

What could be causing the board to fail multiple times? I don’t want to replace the board again for it to fail in a week. Has anyone had to deal with this before, what did you guys do to fix it?

Thank you in advance to all that answer this post.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Check your main power connection where it comes in from your house electrical, it's in the metal junction box below your dishwasher, take the front bottom access panel off then you should see the junction box.

Unplug or turn the breaker off to your dishwasher first, then open the junction box and check your wire nut connections. I have see many installers not tighten those 2 wire nuts tight enough and thus you get arcing and you get low or no voltage to your dishwasher, ALSO that electrical/plastic burning smell you smelled, I've seen many wire nuts melt there too causing that smell.

If that's fine, then the only other thing I can think of that would cause the electrical/plastic smell is your wire harness that comes up from the bottom through the door panel, maybe a short and melted some wires since your not getting any power to the console.

The metal junction box below your dishwasher,
Its #743 here:
(click to enlarge)
00125150.p02_2325.jpg

Lets us know what you find.

Jake

Alvie463

Premium Member
Update:

Went back to dishwasher today to see if I missed anything and left power to the unit as I pulled the board out. I noticed a flashing green light on the board. Removed the power harness to the board and after reconnecting it noticed the green light is no longer flashing and is now just on. While it was flashing it was just a steady flash no noticeable pattern.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
What's the part number of that control board you ordered?

Because there has been a part number change for that board.

The new part number to that board is: WD21X24798

For that LED light on the control board: Steady ON means Software Failure and you'd need to replace that board.

That's why I need to know if you ordered the updated control board part number?

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok,

That's the old part number, The updated part number is WD21X24798.

So I'd return that one you ordered get the updated one.

Jake

D'Artagnon

Premium Member
Hello! I have a similar issue here with my GDT545PSJ2SS. The door control panel is unresponsive (no flashing lights or feedback from pressing buttons), I tested the power and have 120 volts going to the main board. I turned off the breaker to the unit for 15 minutes to reset, still nothing to the panel.

The green light on the main board flashes 7 times with a pause between sets and I can't find a codex for light sequences.

What should I do next?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

7 times--->Current Sense Module is tripped.

To determine if the CSM is tripped, enter Consumer Error Mode.

--->Press the Select Cycle and Start buttons at the same time for Five (5) seconds. If the control responds with LED’s or Display coming on, The CSM is tripped.

To reset the CSM.
Entering Service Mode will reset the CSM.

To enter Service Mode:
1. First enter Consumer Error mode as directed previously. After the ten (10) second door check has completed, continue to next step.
2. Enter Service mode (while in Consumer Error Mode), by pressing and holding the Select Cycle button for five (5) seconds.

Let us know if that fixes it.:)

Jake

D'Artagnon

Premium Member
Hi Jake! Thanks a lot, this worked perfectly!

I did, however, spring a leak from the very center, below the unit. I assume there is a gasket somewhere in there that probably dry rotted when it sat unused for a year. Is there a common gasket that needs replaced every so often I should check first?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, glad to hear that fixed it.:)

I did, however, spring a leak from the very center, below the unit.
You'd need to get a flashlight or droplight to pinpoint exactly where its leaking from.

Here's the main sump seal for your model:
WD08X22758 Gasket-Sump Manifold

I assume there is a gasket somewhere in there that probably dry rotted when it sat unused for a year.
Yes, that's why its good to keep some water at the bottom of the tub if you go that long without using it.

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.