• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

GDT580SSF4SS GE Dishwasher Circulation Pump Test

Poorer-Richard

Premium Member
Model Number
GDT580SSF4SS
Brand
GE
Our GE Dishwasher runs, but it doesn't clean the dishes. We hear the sump pump draining, but can't hear the wash arms rotating during a cycle as we used to. When the cycle ends, we find the soap in a puddle on the floor of the dishwasher.

I have cleaned both the coarse and the fine filters regularly and checked for sump blockages, but have found none, and the drain pump seems to be working. Is there any way to test the circulation pump?

The conduit seal gasket is also damaged, so is it possible that this might be the problem? The wash selection switches are set for both the upper and the lower arms to run during a wash cycle.

seal conduit gasket.png

This is the removed conduit seal gasket.. pretty ratty.

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Conduit seal gasket? You mean the door seal gasket?

Here's the service manual for your model: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Fefp5_Ibg86DtJhjwzL5kPqGBSicyP1v/view?usp=sharing Look on Page 77 of the service manual I posted above and it has a Circulation Diagnostics troubleshooting flowchart there that you will need to follow to see if your wash motor is bad.

Here's the updated wash motor kit that includes all the electrical wiring you can order:

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, I found a thread about this from 2016 here:

This Conduit Seal:
Seal WD08X10098

Jake

Poorer-Richard

Premium Member
Okay, so I replaced the conduit seal and ran a test load. Nothing came out clean. I rechecked all the filters, etc., but finally popped iup the tub sump and removed the circulator motor. The motor turns easily and no noises to indicate something caught inside, but before I order a new motor/pump combo, is there some way to test the motor electrically? Using an Ohm meter, etc.? I noticed a lot of carbon/graphite coming out of the fan port on the motor, but the commutator and brushes are enclosed in housing.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
The process to check the circulation motor is on Page 77 of the service manual I posted above.

You must enter Fault Code Display Mode first before entering Service Mode.

To enter Fault Code Display Mode(Page 20)--->When the dishwasher is in Standby Mode(Cycle Selection Mode), press and hold Cycle Select and Start pads simultaneously for 5 seconds. If the model features LCD display, the LCD may turn off with the door closed.

To enter Service Mode(Page 22):
Screenshot 2021-06-03 16.33.48.png

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Then do the flowchart below:
Screenshot 2021-06-03 16.18.58.png