• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

GDT635HSJ2SS GE Dishwasher - Similar to others - no power to control panel. Am I ready to buy a UI?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Allen,

Something is very odd, I would need to come to your house to assist you, or do you have a friend or relative that can come help you? Either your meter is not reading properly or your not making good contact with those pins.

Jake

AllenM

Premium Member
Jake,

1. I read up on my multimeter - Klein MM300. Some people love it, others hate it. Welcome to the Internet. One kept getting 0.0 readings, despite trying to be careful with lead contact. Then I read that you can get goofy readings if you put the batteries in with the probes already in. I knew I had done that once or twice. Didn't know when/what that did to my readings.

So I tested again, this time being sure to have batteries in before leads. I had no trouble getting readings. When I thought I had good contact, I got a reading every time on everything I expected to get a non-0.0 reading. J722 read 4.14 again. J401 read 0.0 again. Even read a 1.5V battery from a flashlight, right after the 0.00 readings, and got 1.4 on the battery first time. So, batteries in first before probes may splain some of the previous 0.0 readings when I thought I had good lead contact.

2. I'll ask a neighbor who I suspect is good at these things to come over in the next few days. Then I'll circle back with you.

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Because in your 3rd post you said you have 14.14 Volts DC at J722 pin 2 black/green to pin 5 yellow/blue.

Now your saying 4.14 Volts, which doesn't make sense, unless you read the meter wrong in your 3rd post.

You should have 14 volts DC at J401 Pins 1 and 2 on the UI Board as well, and seeing your not getting anything, its complicating the problem of me helping you online, that's why I thought it may be a broken door wire harness from the control board to the UI Board, which is very rare to see happen.

Here's the door wire harness for your model:

2. I'll ask a neighbor who I suspect is good at these things to come over in the next few days. Then I'll circle back with you.
Yes, that would be fantastic. Make the door cable is plugged into the control board at the bottom of the dishwasher when taking your volt reading at J401 Pins 1 and 2 on the UI Board.

Jake

AllenM

Premium Member
Hi Jake,

14.14 vs 4.14 volts. I read the meter right. The 4.14 in post 22 was a typo. I know I'm not making this easy. Typos sure don't help.

To be clear, it was a hair over 14 again. Every reading across those wires at J722 has been 14. Except when I got 0, which as I tried to explain, I think was a multimeter hiccup. In my post yesterday (#22), putting the batteries in before the probes, I got 14V there every time I tested, and 0 at the UI end of those wires every time I tested there.

This morning I tried to test for continuity. With power off, I wanted to put the probes on each end of the black/green wire. Then same for Y/B wire. My probe tips don't seem to get into the white plastic harness far enough to touch the wires. MM stayed on OL for open loop while I tried that.

I had the MM set properly, as I read how to test continuity, and tested it on other conductors. When I did that, it did what it should -- made a tone and display said OL when there was not continuity, or if there was a closed loop, no sound and the MM displayed a reading close to 0. So, I don't know how to test for continuity short of getting the wires out of the plastic harness.

My MM probes come to a sharp point, but that's only the last 1/16 inch or so of the probes. Maybe my neighbor has an MM with different probe ends, but I suspect what I have is pretty standard. Any suggestions for me to test continuity?

AllenM

Premium Member
Hi Jake,

Update. With my wife as helper, I tested the continuity.

I cut some wire I have around, maybe 18 or 22 gauge, 2 pieces each about 4 inches. Then stripped the last 1/4 inch from each of the 4 ends. Used them as bridges. One end of the first 4 inch wire into the B/G hole in the J722 end. Then did the same with the second piece of wire, stuck one end of it into the B/G hole of the J401 end harness. Then we touched the probes to the two non-harness ends of the two bridging wires.

There was no tone to indicate continuity failure. The display reading bounced between 0.2 and 0.6 ohms. This suggests the wires are not the problem.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, if the wires have continuity then you must be getting 14 volts DC at J401 Pins 1 and 2 on the UI Board.

If your meter probes are to big, use the safety pin trick Rick posted.

safety pin 500x250.jpg

Jake