FIXED GDT655SSJ0SS Dishwasher Won't Start - Beeps Three Times

Domer

Model
GDT655SSJ0SS
Brand
GE
Yesterday, I went to start my dishwasher, shut the door and, instead of starting, it just beeped three times. I cancelled it and tried again and nothing. Just three beeps.

I tried to follow the steps on this older thread
(https://www.applianceblog.com/mainforums/threads/57380-GE-Dishwasher-GDF540HGD0BB-won-t-start) hoping that it would solve my problems but haven't been able to figure it out.

"Press and hold "Select Cycle" and "Start" for Five seconds. The first 10 seconds is a door status check. If the door is closed all the LED's will be solid. If the door is open all the LED's will flash. Is any single LED lit after the door status check?" -- I followed this step and with the door open all of the LED's flashed. After this, all of the LED's go out, except for the Lock Button and the Start Button.

"While the lock LED is illuminated press and hold the "Select Cycle" for five seconds. Press "Select Cycle" again to selects/increments test. Press "Start" to stop or start the test.

Normal LED: Tests

Blinks once: Drain pump runs about 2 minutes

Blinks twice: Water valve fills the tub about 60 seconds

Blinks three times: Circulation pump changes diverter every 30 seconds max 2 minutes.

Blinks four times: Heater on max 2 minutes

Blinks five times: Detergent solenoid on max 15 seconds"
-- I am able to get in to this mode but when I try to press start none of these tests run.

"Hold "Heated Dry" and "Start" for five seconds then try it." -- I have tried this one a few times as well and it has not changed anything for me.

Any thoughts as to what could be going wrong? Thanks in advance!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Here's the tech data sheet: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ynaoqi9oboud0lo/31-30792%20GE%20GDT655SGJ0BB%20Mini%20Manual.pdf?dl=0

--->The first 10 seconds is a door status check.
If the door is closed all the LED's will be solid.<---Did you close the door to make sure the LED'S were solid?
If the door is open all the LED's will flash.

Try this: Press the Select Cycle and Start buttons at the same time for Five (5) seconds. If the control responds with LED’s or Display coming on, The CSM is tripped.

Jake

Onebillsdrive

Premium Member
Hi,

I have the same make and model, and I have the same issue. When holding the "select cycle" and "start" buttons, it always responds with blinking LEDs regardless if the door is open or shut. I purchased an OEM replacement door latch switch and installed it but I am getting the same issue. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Check your main control board Service LED, Tell us how many times its flashing in a row.

To view the main control board Service LED, remove the lower access panel of your dishwasher.

--->Here's the main control board for your model: WD21X24799 Machine Control

Here's the video that show you how to remove the cover to access the main control board, and Service LED on it: Main control board access video

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, it says 1x per 3 seconds: Unit is not running a cycle, select a cycle and press start.

Hold "Heated Dry" and "Start" for five seconds then try it.

Jake

Onebillsdrive

Premium Member
Jake,

The door switch is now working properly! The LEDs are solid when closed and flashing when open. Now the service led is flashing 6 times.

Onebillsdrive

Premium Member
Which according to the sheet means it is in demo mode. I held start and heated dry for 5 seconds again. It is now working properly!

Any idea what may have caused this?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, glad to hear its back to normal.:)

Any idea what may have caused this?
No, I sure don't.

Thanks for the update!

Jake

aviator8

Premium Member
I wonder if I can jump in. I have the exact same model and the exact same symptoms. The other day we would start the cycle and nothing would happen. tried again and nothing. Today I tried the door check and while open all lights where on. and 815 was in the LCD.

I tripped the breaker for 5 mins then tried and nothing. I went into door check mode and all flash while open and when i push closed the still all flash. When I initiate the test with door closed they are all still flashing. I also went into each mode check to test pump, fill etc, and none would run. I have also tried to put into demo mode then take out a few times. Do I need to just order a door sensor?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

First, Check your main control board Service LED, Tell us how many times its flashing in a row. Read post #4.:)

Jake

aviator8

Premium Member
Thanks Jake. I dropped the control board so I could see it and tried to stay a cycle. I don’t see any light at all. Where should it be on the board?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok,

So its STEADY OFF, which says: Unit is not powered. Check that power is available at unit. If 120 volts is going to the dishwasher and its STEADY OFF, it says to replace the control board.

--->Here's the main control board for your model you can order: WD21X24799 Machine Control

Jake

aviator8

Premium Member
the board has a different part number on it. When i search for that it took me to this link which has a different aftermarket part number. Is there a difference between this and the one you linked Jake?

***removed link****

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Aftermarket parts will not work on this machine.

You need to order the OEM part I posted the link to above to fix it properly.:)

Jake

aviator8

Premium Member
maybe aftermarket is the wrong word to use. The board in the link i sent looks exactly like the board in the dishwasher now. I went ahead and ordered the model you referred to, I was just curious if there is a difference between the two. Hopefully there is like some better engineering so a board doesn't fail after 1.5 years regular usage :). They sure don't make these newer appliances to last anymore. My last machine went 20 years.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, Got it!

That part number you listed on your original board is the old part number, I posted the link to the new part number that GE came out with for this same control board, when manufacturer's do that, it means they upgraded the control board so this won't happen again.:)

So the link I posted to the control board in post #15 is for the new upgraded control board for your model.:)

Jake