• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED GDT655SSJ2SS GE Dishwasher intermittent beep and circulation pump

JasonAF

Premium Member
Model Number
GDT655SSJ2SS
Brand
GE
GDT655SSJ2SS
Manufactured April 2018
Used daily, sometimes twice daily, for 4+ years

Currently, dishwasher seems it will usually not run circulation pump

In recent weeks or months, dishwasher has been playing a jingle at random times, even though door is closed, and there was not a cycle running or started

Then we started noticing the wash cycles seemed incomplete, as in the dishes were still dirty, and soap had run down the door after dispenser opened, but wasn’t washed away. We would typically just start a new cycle, and it would complete that time, but no longer the case, even after trying circuit breaker flip

I did some testing per the 31-9253 2016 service guide for GDT655SxJ0xx that I found in other posts here, but I am unsure of next step based on what I’m finding…

All buttons appear to function and toggle settings as expected

Service LED on main control board flashes 1x per 3 seconds when unit is idle

All seems OK per consumer error mode. Door latch detection is good. UI software version is apparently 8.17 (817). After 10 seconds of door status, only the Lock LED remains illuminated

Next I went to service mode. Used #2 to operate water valve for fill, then #3 to operate circulation pump a few times, then #1 to operate drain pump for empty.

Confused at this point that all seems OK, so exited error/service mode, tried to run a cycle, during which I listened to it fill, then it just sat there doing nothing for minutes, so I reset. Perhaps was just luck that circulation pump had just functioned during service mode tests.

Back to service mode where I can no longer get the circulation pump to operate after doing a fill. The Start LED lights and stays lit when I hit the Start button, but the circulation pump does not run. Back to #2 for fill, hit Start and the Start LED lights then goes right out, as if it knows it has enough water already, so go to #3 again, but no circulation pump action after hitting Start.

Wondered about fill level so looked inside after fill and it appears to meet the minimum level shown in the service guide. However, screwdriver press against top of float showed that it was NOT floating. Ran multiple drain/fill operations, and fill usually runs for nearly 60 seconds, but stops before float comes up. Not sure if that is normal or not.

Ran drain pump to empty unit. Exited service mode. Manually dumped some water into dishwasher basin, but not quite to normal fill level. Entered service mode, used #2 to fill, which ran less than a minute, and did bring float up to a point where if I press on it with screwdriver, it does go down and I can hear the flood switch click. Despite that higher water level, #3 service test will still NOT operate the circulation pump, so maybe flood switch has no bearing on circulation pump, but rather just ensures water valve closes before overfill.

I’m not sure what this is all telling me, or what I should check or replace now

JasonAF

Premium Member
Additional notes...

After leaving the dishwasher alone overnight for ~12 hours, I tried service mode fill then circulation pump, and it actually ran. Was able to cycle it on/off twice successfully, but on third attempt, it did not operate. Also, service LED on main control board flashes 3x per 3 seconds, as expected, when circulation pump is told to operate.

When I was lucky enough to get circulation pump to operate on the first service mode attempt last night, the dishwasher had been sitting idle for roughly 24 hours, waiting for me to have time to investigate. It's seeming like the circulation pump will work once or twice after it has been idle for a number of hours, but then becomes sort of stuck again for some time.

Now what?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

It seems like the circulation pump(wash motor) is starting to fail on you.

Here's the service manual: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1M-G9W3HiaYnihdB5Cy-jfSPoVf8DZ7j7/view?usp=sharing

When you can't get it to run--->In the service manual--->Do this--->No Circulation Flow Chart on Page 55.

Here's the circulation pump(wash motor) for your model:

Let us know what you find.

Jake

JasonAF

Premium Member
Good timing, Jake, and thank you for the reply I was just in the kitchen getting into that section, and checking for 120 VAC at Main Control J703-2 to J703-3. Consistently getting 123.4 VAC there when cycling on circulation pump, then it drops to 34 VAC when pump is off. I haven't fished out and tested the wiring harness, but I agree it seems the circulation pump is giving out. Ugh.

Was hoping for something easier, but maybe this won't be as bad as I think. For circulation pump replacement, which route is easier in your experience: door and sump unit removal from front of dishwasher as the service guide explains, or remove entire dishwasher for access to underside?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
In the service manual I posted the link to above, Look on Page 57 and it gives you the steps to replace the circulation wash motor assembly.

I haven't had to replace one on this model as of yet, or I could tell you which is easier to do.

This video also gives you the general idea of how to replace it:

Jake

JasonAF

Premium Member
New circulation pump has the dishwasher back in reliable service. I did the replacement by way of lifting sump module up through inside, so no need to remove entire dishwasher from cabinet on this model. Thanks for all you do, Jake!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent Jason, glad to hear that.(y)

Thanks for the update and the added information about not having to remove the entire dishwasher.

Jake

JasonAF

Premium Member
Quick update to this thread, for whomever it may help, regarding the original comment about dishwasher intermittently playing a jingle, even when door is closed and no cycle is running...

The circulation pump problem was obviously unrelated to that. Was only one of two problems. I had been suspicious of the user interface board, but let it ride since dishwasher was operational after pump replacement

Recently, the user interface board ended up failing entirely. No lights or sign of life on control panel. Confirmed ~13.5 VDC across pins 2 and 5 of J722 on main board, so replaced user interface board

All is well once again, and the random mystery jingle has been eliminated too

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks for the update Jason.(y)

Here's the UI Board for your model, in case others need it too: WD21X31902

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.