• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED GDT695SSJ0SS GE Dishwasher appears dead, display won’t respond

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Model Number
GDT695SSJ0SS
Brand
GE
If the STATUS LED on the machine control board underneath the dishwasher, is STEADY OFF and you have 120 volts to it, that means your machine control board is the culprit.

--->Here's the machine control board for your model: WD21X24901 Machine Control

GE control 3.jpg

D-GE control board status led.jpg

Jake

rsderr

Premium Member
Model Number: GDT695SSJ0SS
Brand: GE

My GE dishwasher is completely dead. For a week or so before it quit, it would randomly beep (as if you opened or closed the door). There are no lights or sound from panel. I tried holding the start and select cycle, nothing happened. Checked there is power coming into the dishwasher. Unplugged for a while then plugged back in, nothing happened. Looked at the control board and it has zero lights.

I’ve found several threads of people having the same issue, but they had a solid or flashing light on the board and I can’t find any with no lights on. I’m presuming I need a new main control board, or is there something else to check?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, You did a duplicate post and it got messed up, please just from now on use this thread.

I copied what I said earlier but it went above your post.

You are referring to the the machine control board UNDERNEATH THE DISHWASHER? That STATUS LED is STEADY OFF?

Jake

rsderr

Premium Member
So sorry! Just joined and still figuring out how it works. Yes, the control board under the dishwasher has no status light on it. I have not taken the door panel off to check the UIB yet.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
No worries!

If you are getting 120 volts to the machine control board underneath the dishwasher and the STATUS LED is STEADY OFF, then the problem is the machine control board itself.

--->Here's the machine control board for your model you can order: WD21X24901 Machine Control

Did you make sure you were getting the full 120 volts to the machine control board with your meter?

Jake

rsderr

Premium Member
We unplugged the plug that goes from the power box (where the wires come into the dishwasher from outlet) to the control board and it was getting 120V. So I will order a control board tomorrow and hope it works! Thank you!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, yes the new machine control board should fix it then, make sure you disconnect power to the dishwasher before you replace it.

Let us know how it goes.:)

This video gives you the general idea of how to replace it:

Jake

rsderr

Premium Member
The new control board unfortunately didn’t fix it. What would be the next thing to check?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Is the STATUS LED still STEADY OFF on the new machine control board?

Jake

rsderr

Premium Member
Is the STATUS LED still STEADY OFF on the new machine control board?

Jake
There’s no light at all on the new control board, so I looked closer at our old one and there is no status light on that board either.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes there is, its labeled Service LED, Look here:
ServiceLED.png

So if nether board is showing a flashing light(Normal would be 1x per 3 seconds), then you have a electrical problem to the dishwasher from your house electrical supply line.

Get a multimeter and set it on AC Volts and take a reading where the main power comes into the board. If you already did that, then wiggle the wire nuts and see if the meter stays STEADY at 120 Volts AC.

See it on the right side of this photo below? Coming off the two yellow wire nuts, I circled it in red.:)

J722.jpeg

Jake

rsderr

Premium Member
Yep - That’s the first thing we checked when it wouldn’t work was the power coming into the dishwasher at that box. Our multimeter reads 145V at that plug, the outlet, and when we test the wires within the wire nuts. We’ve also taken all of the nuts off to make sure there weren’t any burned or loose wires (we know that wire nuts can come loose sometimes), retwisted them together, and nothing changed.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
145 volts seems too high, it should read 120 volts and no higher than 125 volts, so I'd contact a local electrician to come out and see what's going on, the boards may be blowing out with that much voltage.

Jake

rsderr

Premium Member
My husband is going to bring his good multimeter home from work tonight to double check it as we were using a pretty cheap one.

If it still reads 145, is the dishwasher shot or do we need to have an electrician fix the outlet and then replace boards?

If it is actually 120V as it should be, what would be the next thing to check?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
My husband is going to bring his good multimeter home from work tonight to double check it as we were using a pretty cheap one.
Ok, sounds good, you can also have him test a regular wall outlet in your house to verify your voltage.:)

Watch this:

If it still reads 145, is the dishwasher shot or do we need to have an electrician fix the outlet and then replace boards?
A electrician to come out first to see why your getting too much voltage, don't re-order any boards just yet.

If it is actually 120V as it should be, what would be the next thing to check?
Like I mentioned in post #12, if you are getting 120 volts to that connected I circled in red and the STATUS LED is still STEADY OFF, then the machine control board is the culprit.

Jake

rsderr

Premium Member
Turns out the multimeter was faulty, we are actually getting 118V at the outlet and plug to control board. Not really sure what happened, but we plugged the control board back in last night and the light came on solid. After about a minute we could hear the motor running and the panel beeped and came on. We ran it through a cycle and it this morning it’s still working.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, sounds like your good to go.(y)

Thanks for the update!

Jake