FIXED GDWT160R05SS Keypad/dishwasher not working properly

Jonny1

Premium Member
Model Number
GDWT160R0
Brand
GE
Up until recently the 'Normal' and 'Heated Dry' lights would be lit on the keypad if we lost power at all. I could press 'Heated Dry' and it would stay off indefinitely until either we lost power or I pressed the button to turn it on. Recently these two lights would act like the dishwasher lost power whenever the door is opened all the way. Actually the lights are off if the door is opened and only come on when dishwasher is almost completely closed. Sometimes I can press the 'Heated Dry' button and the 'Start' button and dishwasher will run fine, other times the 'Heated Dry' button won't go out. As might be expected it seems to be getting worse over time.

At first I thought maybe it was some type of door switch, but these dishwashers don't appear to have anything like that from what I can see. So I guess I'd lean more toward the control board or maybe the keypad? Can you steer me in the right direction and maybe have part #'s? :confused:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I don't understand what you mean by lost power? You mean the power to your house would go out? Does that happen often?

I couldn't locate the tech. data sheet, but all dishwashers come with them, look behind the bottom access panel, and also look inside the console. Then it will help you with the diagnostics.

Here's the keypad assembly for your model:
WD34X11519 Keypad Asm

Here's the control module for your model:
WD21X10362 Module Control Asm

The keypad would have a self sticking adhesive that you would just peel the protective paper off of and stick to the control panel. To remove the keypad you would need to remove the inner door of the unit and take the control panel off the door. Once you remove the control panel you would disconnect the ribbon harness to the control board and just get under the keypad and peel off.

Jake

Jonny1

Premium Member
Sorry, yes I meant lost power to the house from a storm, utility pole hit, etc. Doesn't go out often, just when it does those are the 2 lights that were always lit by default. I'll take a look for the data sheet this weekend in those places. I just didn't know if maybe those symptoms would jump out as being a certain part that is generally at fault. Thanks for the help so far.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Thanks, I understand now.:)

Yes, check for your tech. data sheet and keep us posted on what you find.

Jake

Jonny1

Premium Member
Pretty sure I found and fixed the issue(s). I popped the front access panel off and started looking around. First thing I saw that looked like it may be the issue was the spring for the door looked as though it had pierced the Romex (and it did). Fortunately I turned the breaker off before reaching in and moving any wires because when I did I found another spot a few inches away where the wire was broken. Lucky for me the wire was left pretty long and both issues were within about a foot of the wiring box for the dishwasher. I just clipped back about a foot of the wire and remade connections to the dishwasher (and made sure all the wires are away from touching anything).

Now when I press the 'Heated Dry' button the light goes out and stays out. Also the remaining 'Normal' wash light stays on when door is opened all the way and doesn't 'reset' like it did before when door is opened/closed. I haven't run it yet as I'm pretty sure this solved my issue and I had just done a load of dishes just before tearing into it. The issue completely makes sense being it was killing power when there was tension on the spring when the door was opened, and letting it regain power when the door was closed and tension was relaxed.

Happy & surprised that we didn't get shocked or start a fire with that issue. And no I didn't install the dishwasher, it was installed prior to me buying house a few years ago. So I guess it makes sense that it was acting how it did when we lost power to the house, because it was losing power! :nightmare: I'll post back if this doesn't solve it, but pretty sure it will.

111.jpg1112.jpg

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
WOW, Your right, Good photos and Good find!

Thanks for the update!

Jake